How to create a rule to dial extension # when ouside number is dialed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tomsfood, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomsfood

How do I go about creating a process where if an outside number is dialed, it automatically re-routes the call directly to an extension? As we are in the process of implementing 3cx, several users still make calls to other locations using the outside number instead of just direct dialing the extension. I'd like to set up something in 3cx so these calls can automatically be routed to the correct extension when the outside number is dialed.

2. jasit

jasit New Member

Are all of your extensions running off of the same 3cx server, or are you using bridinging to your other sites and each site has a 3cx server. If you are using multiple 3cx servers then you create an outbound rule for the phone number and have it strip the outbound number and go out the correct bridge port.

3. tomsfood

All extensions connect back to one 3cx server. I've played around with creating a local VOIP trunk that points to the server and then creating the outbound and inbound rules, I am just not sure if there is a better way to go about it or not.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you dial an outside number, then the outbound rules are used as the number does not exist as an extension. You would have to implement a loop trunk, which would take the outside number and send it back in as a DID, which it sounds like you may have done...just in case you haven't.

This from SY back in may of 2011...

1. create SIP trunk with 127.0.0.1:5060
    2. create outbound rule(s) for this trunk. They should intecept all DID numbers
    3. attach existing inbound DIDs rules to this trunk

If everything is done correctly then all outgoing calls addressed to DID numbers will go to the loop back trunk and then returned as incoming calls which will be routed by inbound DID rules.

Of course this will use two licences for each call, one out and one in.

I suppose a much easier way would be to implement an option, in the outbound rules, that "converted" an outside number directly to an extension number. Perhaps a Feature Suggestion?

5. jasit

jasit New Member

one other thing you can look at is your voip phones, we have yealinks and they have an optionional dialplan.xml file tha tyou can use to replace what is dialed on the phone.

we use them to change the park numbers from SP's to actual extension numbers, it would work the same.

<DialRule>
    <Data Prefix="100" Replace="SP0" LineID=""/>
    <Data Prefix="101" Replace="SP1" LineID=""/>
    <Data Prefix="102" Replace="SP2" LineID=""/>
    <Data Prefix="103" Replace="SP3" LineID=""/>

</DialRule>

jasit

6. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Actually there is an alternative, in the Extension Settings of an extension, in the "Other" tab in the "SIP ID" field you can fill in the External number of that extension. What this SIP ID value does is act as an alias for the extension number, so if e.g. you have ext 100 and you put a SIP ID of 123456789, in another extension dials 123456789 it will be as if they dialed ext 100.

Most commonly, for extensions that have dedicated DIDs, admins would write the DID in the SIP ID field.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Will this work if the SIP ID number includes any prefix digits (dial-able format)? This is the first time I've seen this solution put forward, the "problem" has cropped up a number of times. Does 3CX check the SIP Id's (and extension numbers), before proceeding to the outbound rules?

8. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm glad you brought that up leejor.

The dialed number, when received by the 3CX Phone System will be checked as is against all the SIP IDs before being processed by the Outbound Rules. If the dialed number is not an exact match to a SIP ID it will not be routed to the corresponding extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.