How to create CSR?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fonewiz, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonewiz

I have created many CSR request, ordered certs and installed them on both IIS/Windows and Apache/Linux.

This is the first time I am ordering/installing an SSL cert for 3CX v14 use.

First install of Version 14 Virtual PBX version.

While installing 3CX, I get to the option where it ask me if I want to import a cert or generate a self signed cert.

I do NOT want to use a self signed cert but I don't yet have one to import. I would like to order a cert but in order to do that I normally need a CSR. There is not option to create a CSR at install time so??

How should I create the CSR for 3CX use?

If I use a self signed for now, can I change to the cert I purchase later or will I have to do the whole install over?

Since we use Yealink phones, I will need to purchase a MUCH more expensive wild card cert from a more expensive Cert Authority because Yealink phones only allow by default a few Cert Authorities. Because this will be an expensive cert, I want to be sure I order it correctly and hopefully it can also be used for SIP TLS when I set that up later. I have read that the TLS cert needs to be a separate cert but, I am not sure about that right now, need to research further.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with these issues.

2. fonewiz

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fonewiz

I have a ticket in with 888VoIP right now.

There are no specific steps really so there is a lot of room for error and wild card certs are expensive.

I went ahead with the 3CX install and used a self signed cert generated by the installer. I think I can now go into IIS and generate a new CSR, order the wild-card cert and install it which will replace the self signed cert.

At this point, I think 3CX should be happy as the process seems to be mostly outside of 3CX as far as I can tell.

Mostly assumptions at this point but, I am going to move forward with these assumptions unless I get better info before I pull the trigger and order my cert.

To make the cert even more expensive, I can only order certs from Trusted Authorities that Yealink trust in their phones if I want Auto-Provisioning to work correctly. ***Sigh*** ***Deep Breath***

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

the v11 SSL was similar in process to what you explained.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.