Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

How to create CSR?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fonewiz, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonewiz

I have created many CSR request, ordered certs and installed them on both IIS/Windows and Apache/Linux.

This is the first time I am ordering/installing an SSL cert for 3CX v14 use.

First install of Version 14 Virtual PBX version.

While installing 3CX, I get to the option where it ask me if I want to import a cert or generate a self signed cert.

I do NOT want to use a self signed cert but I don't yet have one to import. I would like to order a cert but in order to do that I normally need a CSR. There is not option to create a CSR at install time so??

How should I create the CSR for 3CX use?

If I use a self signed for now, can I change to the cert I purchase later or will I have to do the whole install over?

Since we use Yealink phones, I will need to purchase a MUCH more expensive wild card cert from a more expensive Cert Authority because Yealink phones only allow by default a few Cert Authorities. Because this will be an expensive cert, I want to be sure I order it correctly and hopefully it can also be used for SIP TLS when I set that up later. I have read that the TLS cert needs to be a separate cert but, I am not sure about that right now, need to research further.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with these issues.

2. fonewiz

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fonewiz

I have a ticket in with 888VoIP right now.

There are no specific steps really so there is a lot of room for error and wild card certs are expensive.

I went ahead with the 3CX install and used a self signed cert generated by the installer. I think I can now go into IIS and generate a new CSR, order the wild-card cert and install it which will replace the self signed cert.

At this point, I think 3CX should be happy as the process seems to be mostly outside of 3CX as far as I can tell.

Mostly assumptions at this point but, I am going to move forward with these assumptions unless I get better info before I pull the trigger and order my cert.

To make the cert even more expensive, I can only order certs from Trusted Authorities that Yealink trust in their phones if I want Auto-Provisioning to work correctly. ***Sigh*** ***Deep Breath***

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

the v11 SSL was similar in process to what you explained.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.