How to disable extensions from enabling call forwarding?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lloydr1l, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lloydr1l

Twice in the last 2 months, somehow a user has managed to enable call forwarding on the main line used to access a location. As it was an invalid number to forward to, nothing would happen, including rolling over to the rest of the numbers involved. So effectively killing incoming calls. Once call forwarding was removed on this line, everything worked fine.

So my question is, how do I remove in 3CX the users capability at the extension to enable call forwarding?

Thanks in advance!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Please clarify...a user call forwarded an extension, or they somehow activated the call forwarding feature provided by your trunk provider?

If it is one extension in question, then, if the set allows it (has an internal dialplan), the code required to activate, could be disabled in that dialplan.

3. lloydr1l

Thanks for responding leejor. The trunk line. Somehow, the main trunk line for this location, which rolls to the others gets put into a forwarding state to an invalid number. I guess as the user picks up the phone to place a call, somehow they are enabling the feature on this line. Any other line, and it would not be a problem (at least as big), but on this line it takes everything with it, so to speak.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If they are activating a call forward feature that your provider offers on your incoming trunks (lines) then you must first determine what digits are used to do this. Then modify (tighten up) the outbound rules to exclude calls that include these digits. If some extensions are meant to access this feature then separate rules can be created that apply only to that/those extension(s).

5. lloydr1l

Okay, so I created a new outbound rule calling it "disable call forwarding", entered *72 as the prefix, chose the extension group since I wanted it to apply to all, and selected to block calls in the routes. Afterwards, I put the rule at the top.

Sound about right? Any issues with doing it that way?

Thanks

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That would be one way of doing it. Don't forget to also block 1172, as the 11 can be used in place of a star
    Many systems will choose to use a set of rules that will permit ONLY certain numbers, or number lengths. If local numbers are 10 digits in length, then a rule would only allow 10 digit local numbers, and limiting that to an area-code match. In this case you would need rules for "short" numbers (or other special numbers) such as the 911,411, etc. type numbers. In this case the *72 would never be sent as it would not match an outbound rule. Long distance would require another rule for numbers that start with 1 and are 11 digits in length.

Unfortunately, making outbound rules too simple, can have disadvantages as you've discovered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.