How to discover the IP address

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by flaviost, Aug 17, 2007.

1. flaviost

I already make many setups in my 3CX PBX and all is working very well, but there is one thing that I really don't know and is stupid.

Sorry it could be really stupid questions but I have two (stupids) questions :oops:

1) How I discovery the address of each internal extensions (at the same lan). I know that it is some thing like 192.168.x.x I try one and works, but I think that was only luck (192.168.10.2). I would like to know how to discovery for each that I creat to configure my ATA's

2) How I discovery and or setup the address of my ATA when I am out of this "main" lan. (In my home for example) I read a lot of use VPN use STUN but nothing clear for a common person like me. :( .
    I think that I am in correct way, but I am tring to discover the whell and I think that so many people already use it :lol: .
    I intend to use the Hamachi (logmein) to get the lan connect. But I would like some thing clear to me understand and not hit my head in the wall.

If some one has patience to teach me or tell where I found it I will be very happy. :D

Thanks.

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

What addresses are you looking for?

Softphones would be your PC's IP address
    Hard phones can probably display the address - For Linksys you press the Menu button and then select Network.
    If you don't have any other ideas check your DHCP server - a real server or your web interface of the router. That is assuming you're using a linksys/netgear dsl/cable router type setup.

Does that help any?

Not sure on #2.

3. josvic

With X-TEN softphone I'm able to see the IP from the caller.

4. flaviost

Yes, part of it help

Hi Rod, really thanks by your help.

Your answer help me the first question. Sure, it clean my mind and I could understand now. The internal extensions all has my PC's IP address, I only need change the user and password. :oops:. That is why my first try works, I use my PC's IP. :oops:

Now I need clean my mind for the external extensions. I use a DHCP (dinamic IP) and I know the WAN IP address and the gateway address.
    I think that I should use the IP address, but my question is. If I put this IP in the ATA configuration (in other LAN) will it see the 3CX installed in my computer office? Is it so easy? There isn't any configuration that I should to do?

Thanks

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Re: Yes, part of it help

What are you trying to do :?:

6. flaviost

Hi Sy. Thanks by your interesting to help me. :)

I only want to have my extantion works in my wireless notebook when I am travelling.

I have the 3CX PBX installed in my office and have my extention installed there. What I want is when I am travelling I could answer my call like I am in my desk unsing some softphone in my notebook that will be connect wireless with the Hotel Lan. For this I need the IP address to configure my softphone to be registered in my office PBX.

7. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

If you don't have a personal domain pointed to your 3CX server you can consider an setup such as offered by No-IP for dynamic IP addresses http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html and use the client on the 3CX, it will give you an easy domain to remember and remove the need to constantly check your WAN IP. In addition you must ensure the proper ports are forwarded in your router. Lots of info on the required ports here http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1697&highlight=Port+Sticky that would be helpful. And of course the "extension external" option checked in 3CX. For me in a hotel environment it has been hit & miss - works fine at some locations and not at others. In part I believe due to the differences in their setup of ports, etc. Good luck.

8. webguyz

webguyz New Member

I think what he is asking for is the ability to have the 3CX server figure what IP his extension (softphone on laptop) is when he is on the road and using various hotel wireless systems where you get a random IP and it will change from location to location.

A good question, is it possible?

Thanks!

9. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

For flaviost to receive calls on his softphone as an extension registered with 3CX, the softphone is required to register with the 3CX server, and in that way the server receives the current IP of the softphone. I am not aware of any benefit for the server to know this IP prior to registration.

10. webguyz

webguyz New Member

I must have said it wrong. Is there way for a laptop using a softphone which travels around to attach to a 3CX server without having to register the new IP everytime in the the softphone . I guess I'm thinking of something like DHCP for SIP devices.

11. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

I guess if you really wanted to, you could possibly use a service like those for servers on a dynamic IP, running the client on the laptop, and that way have a domain or sub-domain always pointing to the laptop. I don't really understand why you would want that though, the softphone must register to receive calls and the 3CX server will get the IP then. If you are concerned that the IP may change quickly I presume you could reduce the registration intervals.

Anyway, I am hijacking this thread in a direction it was not meant to follow I think. Sorry. :oops:

12. flaviost

Mirzab and webguyz. I really thanks you both.

I will make a test but using the logmein, I think that is similar of the no-ip. By the theory it should work. I will report here after I done.

Well any way this 3CX is amazing I almost love it :lol:, do NOT say that I love at all, yet, because I am learning how to implement some fuctions.

Thanks

13. flaviost

I made a test and works

Well I am was really happy, after 2 days of my question I could solve my problem.

Thanks to all by gave me opnions. :D

To solve the external problem I use the "logmein" and install the hamachi in the main machine 3CX. After in my notebook I install the hamachi too and ask to conect to my main machine. And all is done I set my softphone with the main machine IP that hamachi gave me and the rest was like usual, no other problem.
    Sure that it is only one test in one LAN. Now after my travel I let all you know if work fine in all locations. Like Mirzab said maybe at some locations it not works fine.

14. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Thanks for the Thanks :lol: , always nice to know when things work out.

I am curious about Hamachi. Even though I have used LogMeIn pretty much from the inception, I have never used this service option. I will give it a try.

15. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Re: I made a test and works

Don't forget to forward requests to your LAN from the internet on port 5060 to go to the IP of 3cx Server

Also make sure you have ports 9000-9009 forwarded for audio for external extensions to work

Also make sure that the specific extension that you will use on the roaming laptop , is configured inside 3cx management console , under extension advanced settings as "bind to media server" and as "extension is external". This help make sure that PBX knows to look for your extension outside the LAN when someone tries to make a call

Another thing that might have already been mentioned but you must not forget is that your roaming/external extension must point to the External/Public IP or FQDN of your Network.

Regars