Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

How to forward external call with original caller id

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by amygoda, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,

How to forward external call with original caller id?

Thank You

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You VoIP provider may not let you do that, some will only allow you to show (to callers) that number that you have registered with them. Check with them to be sure. You cannot change the outgoing number using a gateway with an analogue line.

3. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    My voip provider support it
    by change 3CX settings
    I can forward the number I set "out bound caller id"
    but I'm also cannot forward original external caller id
    Thank You

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is on version 9 (I assume)?
    Don't know if you've read this article.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/forwarding-rules-v9/

This post may be of some help.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/keep-caller-id-on-forward-to-external-number-9248.html

5. galal202

galal202 New Member

Thank You Leejor,
    I read it but don't get it
    so please can you explain it

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Are you sure you are on V9 SP1?

If not, then upgrade, if so then continue...

Log into MyPhone for the extension (or the pbx as the admin and go to the settings for the extension).
    Select the Forwarding Rules tab.
    There are 5 status available for an extension and each can have a set of rules for them.
    Set up the rule for the desired status (e.g. Available, no answer after 30 seconds, forward to external number). Normally people will forward to a cell phone which can now be set in the extension properties and then in the call forward rules you can check the Forward to Mobile box instead.
    Make sure the extensions status is set to this status. You can set it in myphone, cal assistant or on the phone itself via the voicemail menu.
    Test by calling the number from an external phone (not the one you are going to forward to).
    Note: The Rebound feature will not show up on the external phone as the external caller id. This is because the PBX is calling you to ask if you want to take the call or not. It is not doing a redirect. However it should read out the caller id in the message when it asks you.

Also double check that your provider does support this. We are not talking about forwarding external calls- the pbx does that and as long as you have two lines with your provider (as you need one in and one out) then it will forward. We are talking showing the external caller id on forwarding. Not all providers allow that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    I have V9 without sp1
    I'm talking about :
    call comes from pstn gateway
    forward using voip provider to the same voip provide who is support change in caller id
    already test it bu using outbound caller id in management console
    I set it to "123456789"
    and I it's the the number appeared on called phone

8. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Where are you doing the forwarding? At the PSTN Gateway or in 3cx?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    call on pstn line 1 from number "1-705-123-4567"
    line 1 set to ring on ext 101
    if no ansower for 30 seconds
    forward using voip provider "VOIPM" number 11001 to same voip provider number 11002

at number 11002 caller id found the number 11001

if i change outbound caller id option in management console to "10203040"

at number 11002 caller id show number 10203040
    so the voip provider support changes made by 3CX to the caller id

so I need to see at 11002 the original caller id "1-705-123-4567"

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

The problem is that you are forwarding through VOIP providers and they are not seeing the caller id.

I am not familiar with VOIPM so forgive me if I ask some "obvious" questions.

Why do you have 2 VOIPM accounts in 3cx? (11001 and 11002) Can you not set up one VOIPM account and have multiple simultaneous calls?

for example we have Broadvox and have 1 account in 3cx (10000) and have 5 simultaneous calls (as we have 5 ccs with them).

This way the caller id forwarding will work.

For example: External call comes in ("1-705-123-4567"), goes to ext 101 whose rules say if no answer then forward to external number 1-705-xxx-xxxx. When the second number rings then it will show the first external number as the caller id as the VOIP provider has been told to redirect (I forget the exact response code but something like a 310).

In your case though this wont happen. You have a call coming in on one provider and going out on a second account with the same provider. So it cannot send the redirect and will always show as your 11001 outbound caller id.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you read the section How does it work?

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/forwarding-rules-v9

This is a quote of the section... (the bold parts are the sections that apply to you)

"A quick look at the “Outbound Parameters” will show how 3CX PhoneSystem builds its SIP messages to the Gateway or VoIP Provider.

Each SIP field is populated with the contents of a particular variable. The key to the Outbound Caller ID functionality lies in the variable called “OutboundCallerID” – typically placed in the “From : User Part” SIP field.

3CX PhoneSystem populates the value of the “OutboundCallerID” variable based on the following rules:

1. Start from a blank value
    2. Replace with the outbound channel’s “Outbound Caller ID”
    1. Identify the channel which will deliver the outbound call
    2. Replace with the value of the “Outbound Caller ID” field visible from the “Edit Port” page in the Management Console
    3. If available, replace with the value of the forwarding extension’s “Outbound Caller ID” field visible from the “Other” tab of the “Edit Extension” page in the Management Console. This means that if the extension’s Outbound Caller ID is blank, the outbound channel’s Outbound Caller ID will persist.
    4. If the call is not being made directly from an extension (i.e. not a simple outbound call, but an inbound call being forward to an external number), replace with the value of the Caller’s Number. You can check what the PBX has identified as the caller’s number by looking at the log messages when the call originally reached the PBX from the VoIP Provider or from the PSTN Gateway – for example:

Looking for inbound target: called=14044786515; caller=14049876543
    "

12. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    the call comes from pstn gateway
    and forward through voip provider
    I still coudn't understand
    can you explain step by step
    thank you

13. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello all,
    No one has solution for galal202 last reply?

14. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Leejor had answered it step by step in the previous reply.

I suspect the PSTN is not passing on the caller id. And I suspect this is because the forwarding is taking place too quickly?

Caller ID (at least in the USA) comes in between the 2nd and 3rd rings. This is about 4seconds into the call. So you need to put a delay on the pstn gateway to delay the forwarding to 3cx by about 4 seconds (anywhere between 3 - 6, play with it to see which works best). Then the PSTN will forward the caller id. Any sooner than that then the PSTN will forward its ID (11001)

You can check this by calling from an external call to the DID and have it answer at an extension in 3cx instead. Look at 3cx and the caller id and you will probably see it is sending the pstn ID and is nothing to do with the forwarding.

In Leejors last post - Step 4 told you where to check to see what the PSTN was sending in the logs and that is what 3cx is using to forward.

Hope that clears things up. Change the delay from the pstn to about 4 seconds.

15. TwigsUSAN

Actually abc123, Caller ID in the states actually gets transmitted between the first and second ring. If you place a butt set on a line in monitor mode, you will hear data being sent between the first and second ring.

16. abc123

abc123 Active Member

My bad! I had a bad morning and was multi-tasking lol. It would be hard to get the 3 rings in 4 seconds too, so I did steer him correctly with the 3-4 second delay. I just cant count!

17. TwigsUSAN

No big deal. We all have our bad days.

18. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    I read the link but I did not got it
    so please explain it step by step
    How to forward a call comes from pstn line 1
    ring on ext 101
    if no answer for 30 seconds
    forward it using voip line can accept changes in caller id
    to number at the same voip provider