Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

How to have outbound calls on 2 different numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by billtepe, Jan 14, 2019.

1. billtepe

Hello,

I have an office where there are 2 businesses, each having a unique DID. I have BUSINESS1 having extension 11 thru 19 and BUSINESS2 extensions 21 thru 29. Occasionally someone will call someone at BUSINESS1 but really need to speak to someone at BUSINESS2, so we need to transfer that call. Each business would like for their outbound calls to appear to the outside world as if they have originated from their main number. Is this possible using the same SIP trunk? I have looked at outbound rules and they seem to only use the SIP trunk name as a parameter. So, I'm thinking I need to have a separate SIP Trunk for each business? If this is the case, will I still be able to transfer calls from any extension to any extension? Any light you could shed on this and help my understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.. Bill Tepe

2. SMF Media

If you edit the Extension on the General Tab under User Information enter a number in the Outbound Caller ID. I just did it with a few Flowroute sip trunks. I am using a 10 digit number without a problem.

3. billtepe

I will give this a try. I don't have all my DIDs set up yet. Doing a LNP. Once that DID gets ported I will give your solution a try.

Thanks for responding.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can have the main number on all calls by adding to all the extensions, as suggested. You cannot have individual DID's displayed using this method, as you will be using the option normally used for this, to display the main number on all calls.

5. billtepe

Is there a way to do what I want to do, or will I have to get a separate Sip Trunk Account for each number that needs to have it's dedicated outgoing caller id number.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As an example, you have extensions 101,102 & 103 in one company, and 201, 202 & 203 in another. If , in the extension options, you give the first 3 extensions an outside caller ID of 822 555 1234, and the second 3, a caller ID to be displayed, of 833 444-9999, then these are the numbers that will be displayed, when outside calls are made, if, your provider allows it (some don't). You will not be able to do this AND display any DID numbers, if used. you only get to put one number to be displayed on outside calls, against an extension. If you don't put in anything, then the "main" billing number of the trunk will probably be displayed, either from the trunk settings, or as a default from the provider.

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @billtepe

There are 2 ways to achieve this. The first is to use one trunk and assign an outbound caller ID under each extension so when outbound calls are performed the outbound caller ID of the calling extension will be displayed. Of course your provider must support this and the PBX must be setup correctly. That is why it is recommended to use a supported trunk. https://www.3cx.com/partners/sip-trunks/
    The second way is by using a second trunk and handling outbound calls with 2 outbound rules, one for each company. When an inbound call arrives it can still be transferred internally to any extension of the PBX.