How to: One SIP trunk with 3 servers (main server and 2 servers redundancy)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ricardolobo, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardolobo

I need to configure a SIP Trunk with 3 server (main and two redundancy servers), with the same number.

How can I configure this in 3CX v14?

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of a provision for inputting an alternative server address. This might be accomplished by using your own DNS sever that included the alternative destinations. Something (failure of the first server), would have to trigger the DNS query providing the alternative(s). I'm surprised that the provider doesn't do this automatically, after all they should be aware of a server failing.

Others may have additional ideas.

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You better use virtualization platform like VMware (High-Availability) or eventually MS Hyper-V or even a free one like ProxMox.
    It will solve all your concerns.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Expanding on what leejor said, the 3CX Phone System will check for an SRV entry on the hostname that has been entered and can read up to 3 results returned.

This means that if the hostname you have set in the Management console is sip.xxxxxxx.net, the first thing that it will do is check for and SRV at _sip._udp.sip.xxxxxxx.net. If it does find the SRV, it will follow the priority as set in the SRV. If not, then it will try to resolve sip.xxxxxxx.net to a single IP.

Note: If an Outbound Proxy hostname has been set however, the Outbound Proxy is only resolved to a A Record. Also, in order for the hostname to be resolved to a SRV as described above, the Outbound Proxy hostname must remain empty.

I would ask the Provider is they have an SRV record that included all their servers. If not, I am not sure if creating an SRV an a Domain of your own would have the same result.

5. ricardolobo

Thank you leejor, eagle2 and NickD_3CX for your help.

NickD_3CX: great explanation. With your help, it worked without problems.

Best regards.

Ricardo Lobo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.