how to provision 2 or more ext.** DISCONTINUED PHONE

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pjr, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjr

pjr New Member

Re: how to provision 2 or more ext. on one phone

If you expect any assistance at all it would help if you specified what brand of phone you are using?

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

And why would you want each line to be a different extension? That seems like a major pain in the buttocks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I wouldnt do it that way as it limits the functionality of the phone. Send calls to ring groups, then when the call hits the phone the caller ID name can be prepended with the ring group name so you know how to answer the call. I think this is far more effective, easier to manage, and requires nothing outside of what 3CX can manage for you.

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I am suggesting that there is a better way of solving the issue. 3CX does not provision multiple extensions per phone and probably never will, if you want to do that, feel free to go into the phone's web interface and set it up manually.

If a user has to look at the BLF keys to determine which line is ringing, then they are already looking at the phone so modifying the caller ID on the display seems just as logical to me. I have both business and personal lines coming into my system and since I have to reach for the phone to answer it, looking at the phone to see if it a a home line, my line, a business line, or test line is super simple.

The current firmware for the spa-841 will allow you to create up to 4 accounts on the phone. Browse to the IP of the phone and use the ext tabs.

5. pjr

pjr New Member

Hi Dave,

I think you are in danger of alienating anyone who wishes to help you, but anyway, Kerry has already pointed out the way to achieve what you want (browse to the phone web gui and provision the additional extensions on the phone), however this does mean that your changes will be lost upon a reboot of the phone.

Personally I would create a modified template or provisioning file specifically for this phone to try and reoslve the issue, but again, this may be modified each time you make a change to the extension from within the admin console un less you make it read only (which can again cause issues further down the road).

Basically you are asking for something that 3CX does not currently do out of the box and these (admittedly not great) suggestions are the best workarounds. If it's that critical to you I suggest you search through the feature request forum and see if others have had similar issues and add your support to any existing request for this feature (or add a new one).

Paul

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Set it up in the web gui, that's all there is to it. No need for different ports. Just make sure the phone does not grab the 3CX configuration file and you are good to go. Otherwise, edit the configuration file for that particular phone and add the entries to it.

I gave you "my" opinion based on "my" experience that the functionality you are looking to achieve is often better handled a different way because of the limitations your method puts on handling multiple calls. If "I" absolutely needed to have multiple extensions on a single phone, "I" would choose a better phone than the 841. I do not think it is out of line to suggest some "best practices" when somebody asks how to do something.

I went on to tell you where in the phone to make the changes, you ONLY need sip login, sip password, and proxy server (assuming on same subnet as PBX) and the phone will work as "you" want. I really don't know what else you are expecting in terms of help.

7. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Dave

I don't know if I properly understand the issue, but I'm interested in these aspects since next feature of the 3CXPhone will be multiple simultaneous accounts.

So, about provisioning:
    I'm not very familiar in hardware phones, the only one I know quite good is my Grandstream; it has four accounts, but only ONE provisioning link. Unlike it, 3CXPhone allows each account to be provisioned. Therefore, if you have two accounts, one to US and another to Germany, each will be provisioned with their corresponding connection data and company phonebook. So, if there is a provisioning limitation, this is due to the phone device (soft- or hard-phone) not due to the PBX.

Then, about configuring several extensions from the same phone to the same PBX:
    I didn't tried this with a hardphone, but my in-development 3CXphone maps simultaneously eleven active extensions 100-110 of the same PBX, and it works without any problem, and PBX (v9) seems very happy having eleven 3CXPhones in "Phones" having the same IP:port. So, again, if there is a problem, most probably is due to the hard- or soft-phone settings/capabilities, not due to the PBX.

Regards
    vali

8. star1

We have situations at our clients that call for assistants having their primary extensions on their phone as well another line appearance for their superior's extension. Keeping this away from ring groups allows the superior to manage rules and forwarding through MyPhone for his extension, and when necessary, for the assistant to monitor/answer the superior's extension by answering the 2nd line of his phone.

As Kerry mentioned, you'll need to do this through the phone's GUI to setup the 2nd appearance. You may also want to disable provisioning for the main extension of the phone by removing the MAC/provisioning info from 3CX admin for the extension as well as delete the provisioning file for the phone from the provisioning directory.

-Eric

9. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

If the phone is on the same network as the PBX you do NOT have to change port numbers per extension on the phone. This could be an issue with the 841 with an old firmware on it.

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can definitely configure 2 accounts on the same phone to the same pbx. Is this the question here? No problems here for sure. All phones support this. Check wireshark. See whether the second account is sending to 5060.

Multiple accounts on Cisco/Linksys
    1)From xxx@PHONEIP:pORT -> PBX:5060
    2)From yyy@GWIP:pORT+INCREMENT -> PBX:5060
    3)From zzz@PHONEIP:pORT+2xINCREMENT -> PBX:5060

and so on so forth

Dave - Im sure you have another phone not only this. Try with these. And compare captures between the 841 and others. 841 is discontinued so if it does not work, just be happy to use it as it is.

11. casualmikey

Hello,

I'm new to 3cx and I've been following this post. I setup a 2nd extension on a SPA501G. I did the following with partially successful results:

1) Setup the 2nd extension in 3cx system (without provisioning). First extension on that phone still has provisioning enabled.
    2) I went to phone GUI and set Line key 2 to "2"
    3) In the same phone GUI, set EXT2 option to login to the new extension I created. I actually tried to use the default SIP port 5060 and to increment SIP port 5061 - Both worked for me.

I got the extension mapped and I can call the extension from the same phone but when I try and call from another phone (another SPA501G), it gives a busy signal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

12. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

What are you getting in your 3CX system logs?

13. casualmikey

Hi Kerry,

I actually got it working. I'm not sure what I did but it must've been a mis-configuration on my side. It's all working now. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.