• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to set Gateway Hostname of a Gateway in 3cx Phone System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ideasmiths

Reaction score
I just started trying out VOIP to PSTN as I needed to use outlook 2010 to dial a number, over the office network and through the PSTN. I am using a new Linksys 3102, 3cx Version 10, 3cx Myphone with desktop component and outlook TAPI. Following the configuration guides I am able to setup and successfully dial out from my home (as a testground). Lets call this setup A.

192.168.1.99 - Linksys SPA 3102 (static IP), hostname : LinksysSPA3102 (under the WAN setup->Optional Settings)
192.168.1.76 - Lenovo T420s, (this changes by DHCP) hostname: RYANT420s

However, I cannot find a way to use the Gateway Hostname to register the PSTN gateway using the SPA3102. Only IP address such as 192.168.1.99 works (ie setup A). On the SPA3102 side, I can successfully use the hostname of my laptop running the 3cx Phone System. Example my laptop hostname is T420s.

8cmuM.png

I6kLl.png

The problem is that when I bring this same setup to my office, the IP address changed for the SPA3102 because the IP address is 192.168.100.x instead of the 192.168.1.x I used in my home. This changes in IP means that I have to change the settings in the SPA3102, 3cx Phone system AND re-run the MyPhone setup, then uninstall, reinstall desktop component again.

Is there a way to use the Gateway Hostname of the SPA3102 instead of it's IP when adding the PSTN gateway in the 3CX phones system?

I had googled for several days and had tried several methods in various forums and none worked. Perhaps I have missed out something regards the hostname and domain. If I am successful, I can bring my laptop and SPA3102 from home to office and use it when IP changes at different location.

Any information or pointers greatly appreciated. Thank you

Re: How to set Gateway Hostname of a Gateway in 3cx Phone Sy

Unless someone at 3CX knows something, I don't think that you will get this to work unless you use an IP. The gateway is not really meant to be moved from place to place as you would an ATA.

I've never really understood why the IP for a gateway such as the 3102 needs to be datafilled in 3CX (unlike and ATA), as it registers just as an ATA does.

Thank you...

It did worked once when I setup the WAN side of the SPA3100 using hostname: SPA3100 and domain: Local
and entered SPA3100.local in the PSTN setting of 3cx. The trunk status light turned green but no dialtone or anything.

I am now trying to see if I can setup a DNS server on my laptop itself so it acts as a 3cx phone system and DNS server. Maybe this will resolve this issue.

My intention if it works is to get one unit of SPA3102 in the office and another at home so my laptop will just dynamically access either gateway at different location.

What about running the 3CX proxy server on your laptop, then the 3102 would register through that?
I'm not really clear on why you need to move a gateway between work and home. In most set-ups, a gateway stays with a phone line, in one location. This way, you could, for example, access your home phone line, while at work.

I am moving the SPA3102 around because this is the first time I am trying VOIP gateway. At the office, I have limited time to test all the dialplan, setup and such, so I bring it home to tweak most of the settings to make it work. The SPA3102 is UK standard and several stuff like dialtone, disconnect tone, regional setting etc are not easily available (especially in Singapore) so I have to google, read up, trial and error.

Anyway, I find it weird that this setting is available on 3cx so somebody must have thought of using a hostname instead of strictly using IP. I probably getting the domain name wrong or some other setting I have missed.

When and if I finally find out how to use outlook 2010 to dial out using 3cx addin, by automatically send 9->wait for dial tone->send the other 8 digits and get a call through the PSTN line, then I'll just leave the SPA3102 in the office and buy another device to put at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.