Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

How to Set Password to restrict International calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Umer, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umer

Hi everyone,
    How can i set password on my 3cx server v9 or on my Linksys Ip Phone SPA so that if any one dials an international number it will ask him for a password, can any one help me on this.
    Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There is no provision (in 3CX)to ask for a password (Billing codes can be inserted after a dialled number http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/dial-codes/ ). What you can do is create outbound rules that require a prefix when calling any particular number, international or national.

The outbound rule(s) could apply to one or several extensions, each could have their own unique prefix, that is required to call international.

See...outbound-pin-code-20163.html#p101665

3. Umer

But the problem is that this unique number can be seen on the redial list so any other person can see what to dial for International calls so my problem will remain the same. :(

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, that is true.

Do the employees have a habit of scrolling through other peoples phones looking for dialled numbers (that would seem quite nosy) , or is this a shared phone? If it is shared, then you may want to think about providing a set with no display (or no redial feature). Or, an analogue set (ATA) with only a call display unit for incoming numbers.

5. efounco

efounco New Member

Haha, you midazwell' write the code down on a post-it and stick it to the phone...

I know you can restrict International calls using a group. Assign the extension to a group and then prohibit that group from making international calls through an outbound rule. Unfortunately, this will prohibit all international calls made from this phone/group.

6. grodinj

I have 3CX version 7. In my outbound rules, I can only set which route the call should go through (My Sangoma a101 is the only option) and then I can add or stip out numbers. How do you use an outbound rule to "require a prefix"? Is this only available on a later version of 3CX?

Thanks,
    Justin

7. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

You want to make a international call from the UK to the US.

You would normally dial 001 (xxx) xxx xxxx.

So now think of a number lets say 456.

First make a entry in the out bound dial plan for numbers beginning with 001 by entering 001 in "calls to numbers starting with" and set the route to either "BLOCK CALLS" or a route that will fail in previous versions. Now no one on the system can make a call to the US.

Then make a second entry with 456 in "calls to numbers starting with" Then the route to the provider you use for international calls with "strip Digits" set to (3).

Now to dial the call you enter 456 001 (xxx) xxx xxxx. The dial plan would then strip out the 456 and place the call correctly to the service provider. Only users who new the access code 456 would be able to make international calls.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can create an outbound rule that is applicable to certain extensions, or all, it;s up to who you wish to restrict. If you currently had an international rule that handled 9011, as the prefix, then stripped off the 9 (access digit), before sending... you could create a rule 663865011, that then stripped off 6 digits before sending the 011xxxxxxxxxx out on the trunk. So...663865, now becomes the "PIN" that the caller has to dial before the international number.
    As I said, that rule could apply to just one extension or everyone. Of course, if the old rule was still in there, you would have to set it to apply to everyone BUT the extension that had to dial the "special" prefix.

If there weren't too many, you could create a different rule for each extension, so that everyone had their own "code". If they thought they would be tracked, they would be less likely to let it slip to anyone else. You could even let them choose their own access number, but its' best to have them all start with the same digit, keeps the dial plan a bit less complicated and less risk of a conflict with an extension number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.