How to setup "old" Skype module

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by complex1, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. complex1

complex1 Active Member

@leejor,

You wrote in this post you’ve got Skype still running or run it again.
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/#p175308

I know that in the past a lot of posts on this subject have been written.
    When Skype updated there software from v5 to something higher, I removed the module from my computer because it was not working anymore.
    But after reading your post it is going to tickle again to install Skype.
    I still have Skype v5.1.0.112 and 3CXGatewayforSkype2.msi

Please, would you be so kind to write down a step by step install, especially the Skype installation part.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I can dig up the version numbers I used later today...

Install a newer version of Skype running on a PC Win (I used Version 6.20.0.104) This can be installed later. You don't have to login, but it won't hurt.

Install an old version of Skype (I used Version 4.2.0.169), on the 3CX server PC, that is compatible with the 3CX gateway. I left the PC disconnected from the net at this point. Skype will ask you to set-up, but , even if you were connected, the old version won't register. Stop Skype, as you will be replacing an in use file.

From the PC that you have the newer version working, copy the Skype.exe file over to replace the same file on the really old version. I actually renamed the old version to Skype.old, but you can just as easily delete it.

Install the , now discontinued (hopefully you have it archived), 3CX Skype gateway.

At this point, before you start to configure the gateway, connect the PC to the internet.

Configure the gateway putting in your Skype user name and password, it will then try to establish the account and log in through Skype. Allow the Skype app to use 3CX, there is a tick box.

The Skype application will nag you to upgrade constantly. Unfortunately there is no option to turn off upgrade checks, only to stop automatic upgrades.

Most old versions of Skype are still available in various locations on the web if you do some searches. This may all work using a version or two one way or the other from what I used, but I can't confirm. The 3CXSkype gateway will only work with certain versions and I haven't looked, for a while, to see if that info is still available.

I still have the Skype gateway working on 3CX version, and I got it working using this method after Skype changed the registration process. Working on 3CX version 11 and tested it to work on version 12 (just after 12 was released) but not version 12.5, then again on 14. I have friends on other continents that insist on using Skype to keep in touch, so for me it's easiest to link it to 3CX and always be "on-line".

I did a 3CX restore on 14 from 11, that had been installed and backed up on a version 12 install, to get a compatible file to restore with, so the Skype trunk was already data filled in the PBX and came right up.

3. complex1

complex1 Active Member

@leejor,

I have managed to get it working again.
    It is running now on Windows 8.1 Pro with Skype v6.20.0.104 copied to v5.1.0.112 and 3CX v14-SP2 on Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for your help on this.

I am very happy now.

Best Regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Happy to be of help.
    I'm going through it all again as I bought a couple HP Stream 200's (now discontinued, so discounted) and Installed 3CX ver 14 on one but decided that 12.5 is a better fit for me. That is what has now been installed on the second machine. The first will probably revert to 12.5 as well to be used as a "quick swap" backup machine.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Update...the HP200 Streams (Win 8.1) have been running 3CX ver 14 for a while now, with no issues,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.