How to trace a service stop?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RodSlinger, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodSlinger

One day I received a notice that the SIP service stopped. All the other services were still running and the SIP services started back up manually without error through the web portal. This has only happened once and has been the the ONLY issue this system has had in the six or so weeks since setting it up.

The system is a Debian/3CX v15 setup as a Hyper-V machine inside Windows Server 2012r2. I went though the web GUI for the 3CX system but didn't see anything that really gave me a clue to why the service just stopped. Are there more detailed logs I can access from a terminal window in the Debian OS? This was my first experience in setting up a PBX and have to appreciate how simple this system was to setup. But I'm not yet familiar with all the fine details that may benefit me here.

On an unrelated note.... This 3CX system has been pretty awesome. I set this up as last minute hail mary when we were moving the office. I didn't like the pricing I was getting form retail hosted PBX setups and we were running out of time to get everything running. As a test I went ahead and spun up a 3CX VM on our server, signed up for a trunk and had everyone use the phone client for a few days. It worked well enough on the first try to decide to fully integrate it. Ordered some Yealink phones off eBay and ended up with a system that is easier to manage and works better than the old PSTN Nortel PBX I just yanked out.

The boss is super pleased to be paying about $40 a month in trunk costs versus $500+ for retail hosted PBX setups also. Free'd up some cash for other IT stuff I wanted to do. Woohoo...

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @RodSlinger

Glad to hear that you enjoy using the 3CX PBX and you found it easy to deploy.
    Please note that you can generate the support files of the PBX and take a look at more detailed logs. However if the logging level was not set to verbose not many details will be logged. To get the maximum details in the logs you need to navigate to Dashboard / Activity log /settings and select verbose. Then you need to restart all services for this to take full effect.
    Monitor the situation and if it happens again you can generate the support files from the support tab in the top right corner of the management console.
    An email will be sent to the email address of the administrator with a link to download the files.
    Please note that verbose logging level is CPU intensive and should not be kept for a long period of time like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.