• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to use Cisco 7940 linex_displaname as Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

Customer
Reaction score
I'm completely new to 3CX. I have been task with configuring our new 3CX to work with our existing Cisco 7940 phones. So I have all the basic setup. Now for the "fun" stuff...

This new phone system is going to be used to support calls for 3 different companies (not the problem IVRs already set). But each one of our staff will have to make outgoing calls as well and in most cases will only need to use the caller ID from 2 of the 3 companies (which works for the 7940 as it only has 2 lines to choose from). So in the phone provision template for the Cisco 7940 i have the following settings for the two lines:

#Line 1 Setting
line1_name: "%%extension_number%%"
line1_authname: "%%extension_auth_id%%"
line1_displayname: "Comany A 604-555-1234"
line1_password: "%%extension_auth_pw%%"
line1_shortname: "Company A"

#Line 2 Setting
line2_name: "%%extension_number%%"
line2_authname: "%%extension_auth_id%%"
line2_displayname: "Company B 604-555-5678"
line2_password: "%%extension_auth_pw%%"
line2_shortname: "Company B"

How can we use the line1_displayname and line2_displayname in 3CX as the Outbound Caller ID when a specific line is selected?

Outgoing caller ID can be changed (customized) in the 3CX extension settings (sending a number that is specific to that extension), or in the trunk settings (sending one number out, on the whole group, no matter who places the call).

This working, all relies on your provider allowing it, some do, some don't. Many providers will allow the number to be changed but don't allow a name to be sent. It you haven't yet confirmed how this works with your provider, you may want to do so before spending more time on this.

Thanks for you answer @leejor, but that doesn't really get me to where I want to go with 3CX. I know the caller ID can be changed via the 3CX Extension Management but that is a hassle to have to log into 3CX in order to make a simple caller ID change. We have an Asterisk phone system currently and it is setup to change the Caller ID via a Dial Code. So I know our provider does allow the outgoing number to be changed.

Since we want to limit the number of people that have direct access to the 3CX system, is there an easier way of changing the caller through the Cisco 7940 phone? Is there something similar to what we have on Asterisk in 3CX?

If the set had multiple extensions assigned to the keys, say 101 and 102. Extension 101, in the 3Cx extension settings can be programmed to send out one caller ID, and extension 102 can be set to send another. So...choosing a particular key (extension) to call out on, would send the caller ID assigned to the extension.

I'm not certain as to how that is different to what you are trying to achieve from within the set?

Outbound rules can even send the same number dialled, out on a different trunk group depending on the extension from which it originates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.