• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to use Internal modem as a VoIP gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

simin

Reaction score
I don't know It's possible or not , But has anybody any experience of using an internal dial up modem as a VoIP gateway ?
I mean suppose that you want to connect your analog old phone lines (with Panasonic central for example) to connect them to 3CX phone system and you can not use a commercial gateway device , can connect them to several internal modem inside a computer and use this system as a gateway or not ?

No, you cannot use a dial up modem for VoIP. You need an analogue telephone adapter (ATA) to connect a phone, or a Gateway to connect to a phone line. They must be SIP compliant to work with 3CX.

Unfortunately it's a major problem for us because one of our new customers who is going to download and test the 3CX software for migrating from another VoIP program to 3CX Phone System has been using their Dial up modem as VoIP (FXS or FXO) gateway until today and so because of this problem we can not replace their existing servers with the 3CX Servers .

simin said:
has been using their Dial up modem as VoIP (FXS or FXO) gateway until today

I'd be curious to found out what make/model "modem" they have been using, and with what application/system.

Devices that handle VoIP must convert analogue to digital using a range of standardised Codecs. These will vary, and can be of an open, or a proprietary type, depending on the provider/equipment. They must also be able to deal with the loss of packets. In voice applications, this will cause some noise, or distortion, but packets will not be re-sent, there is no point as the voice it in real time. When a modem sends data, there is no tolerance for packet loss and any missing or unusable data must be re-sent, or corruption is the result.

I asked from them for you , they told us that they use Asteriks (Linux open source voip software) as a VoIP Server and even their modem is Alfex .

simin said:
they told us that they use Asteriks (Linux open source voip software) as a VoIP Server and even their modem is Alfex

That is SIP based, and in theory, should be compatible with 3CX. However, while many "stand-alone" (Ethernet connected) gateways will work just fine on both systems (some might require manual set-up), some "PC-slot", circuit board, based gateways are Linux based and not designed to work with Windows.

If Alfex, is the brand of gateways they are using, then you may be out of luck in re-using the hardware. I do not recall that make being mentioned on the forum, in the past. A net search, on that name, brings up references to a Fax modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.