• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to VOIP on my Android? Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncamie

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to get VOIP working on my cell phone. I am a brand new user of Android with a Sprint HTC EVO. I've installed 3CX in the phone and tried following various "technical tutorials" online with no success. They've said that I need a "SIP" account but I don't know how to do this.

Could someone please help me set this up on my phone? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'll probably need my hand held so to speak.

It would be so great to make free calls over the internet.

Thanks,
Norman

Hi,

You needto get an account with a VOIP provider and apply a credit to your account. Calls won't be free but may be at much lower cost depending upon what your VOIP account provider supplies.

Here is a link for some US VOIP providers that I found viaasearch on google http://www.voipproviderslist.com/country/voip-usa/voip-providers-usa/

Jonathan Hamon

VoIP does not mean free calls over the internet. VoIP means Voice over Internet Protocols. To use VoIP service you either need a VoIP account with someone like Vitelity, a VoIP PBX system like 3CX, or use a service such as Fring or Skype.

Hi,

and thanks for the quick responses. I thought that there was a way of using VOIP to make calls, kind of like we use the internet for free, but instead of web data the line would carry voice. And free just like the net is free. I know about fring and skype but those restrict your calling to the contacts on "friends" networks such as facebook, skype, icq, fring, etc. What I'm looking for is a service that frees me from all those. Something where I can call someone on my own phone's contacts list and it rings on the other end of the line, whether it be a cell or land line.

My goal is to be able to use my android cell phone over Wifi or 3G data in order to run phone calls to either other cells or landlines (not through fb, skype, etc.). As far as I've read there are some essentials necessary for me to do this. 1) Install 3CX for android on my phone - done but don't know how to configure. 2) Need a SIP and/or PBX account but choosing which seems harder than I thought. I'm trying to establish an account with CallCentric right now in order to test this all, but I am afraid that if it is a paid for service then this may not be what I am looking for.

In general, I thought I heard of a way of using google voice and one of these SIP accounts in order to make it all free. Am I wrong/way off?

Thanks again,
Norman

You are mistaken. You cannot make "real phone calls" for free. There is a cost associated with providing that service and somewhere along the line you have to pay for it. It certainly can be much cheaper, but there is always a cost. You could setup a phone system like 3CX at home, use your android phone as an extension, but that phone system would either need to be connected to a real phone line or have a SIP trunk (again, costs money).

Simply put, there is no way to make free phone calls.

Hello everyone,

I am in a similar position as ncamie, with the difference that I am aware that I will be charged for calls.

I am basically looking for something like SkypeOut which works on my mobile (HTC Desire), i.e. I am NOT looking for a replacement of my 'conventional' phone and I also do not need a seperate SIP-number which can be called by other ppl.

My use case is the following: I am not in my home network (which is in Austria) and connected to a WLAN and would like to make cheap (relative to roaming charges) calls to Europe, US and possibly India with my mobile phone. Since, I am not permanently in this situation I would like to avoid monthly charges but just have an account somewhere to which I periodically transfer some money (like with SkypeOut).

I already installed the 3CXPhone App on my phone but am not sure how to proceed.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Regards
David.

Hello again,

I set up a CallCentric account and successfully tested via 3G - qualitiy is pretty good.

However, if I switch 3G off and try to connect via my WLAN at home, I can not register with CallCentric (3CX shows me 'not registered'). I tried fiddling a little with the settings but nothing changed.

I also do not really want to reconfigure my WLAN-Router at home, since this is only a testrun for use with routers I can not control.

Any ideas?

Regards
David

Use any SIP provider in the US like Vitelity.com

I use 3CX softphone on my HTC Legend (Android 2.1) with callcentric and wifi and there is no problem. Did you enter the callcentric profile correctly?

User: (your callcentric phone number including "1")

Password: the same PW you use logging into the callcentric website

Internal Server: callcentric.com

External Servier: callcentric.com

STUN Server: (leave blank)

Advances: (pretty much leave as is)
Proxy: (leave blank)
Port: 5060
Reg. Timeout: 3600
Keep-alive: 60
DTMF method: RFC-2833
Enable NAT: (unchecked)
Enable ICE: (unchecked)

Integration, Audio Settings and Audio Codecs - not modified ("Integration" => "Enable 3G" unchecked, but you are smart to switch off 3G altogether to force wif)

P.S I guess you have successfully logged into your wifi network and be able to surf the net using your phone internet browser. If not, does the wifi router have encryption or MAC address filter you did not set up which may block your phone wifi connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.