Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

how to you prepare your install

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dlazure, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlazure

I was wondering how i should prepare for an install. Do you program the phone system in your lab like standard PBX since the server where you install it is at the customer site. By remote desktop maybe ?

thanks

2. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

It all depends on your install, I usually like to get the software on the server and program the extensions etc.... Reason being the majority of our installs are dont remotely. Also it will be alot smoother once onsite if the extensions, handsets, etc are ready to go when you get onsite.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dlazure

would you say the majority of your install are done with the 1 cable for phone+pc setup? or they use 1 cable for each device

4. jpillow

Everyone of my installs is one cable to the phone--->phone to the PC. Though some customer choose to keep their voice on a completely different network from data, all you NEED is on cable to the phone. Is there any particular reason you ask? have you run a cross something in particular>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dlazure

im about to start installing some 3cx system we just started to add the 3cx to our options. We currently install NEC phone system wich is a standard PBX. I did my CCNA so it was a logical path to start VOIP with my knowledge and i am just curious how are installs with this system.

6. netswork

netswork Active Member

If your going to install before you take the server onsite its best to install with the server as the IP address that it will use when you get it onsite.

I have also found that if you install with the windows firewall turned on and then later turn the firewall off it jacks up the install. So I always turn the firewall off before installing. Also remember the box needs internet access to keep the license activated.

I scan in all my phones with a barcode reader directly into the phone import CSV. I then configure all the phone options in the CSV file so I just import once and then im good to go. I have phone templates that I re-use for each install which makes things easier. I stopped trying to do custom tweaks for each install...it makes it too hard to troubleshoot later. Just set them all up the same way.

7. jpillow

Netwrok, how are you doing that? I wouldnt know whwere to get a bar scanner or how to set that up but I'd liketo try it would make my days sooooo much easier. Thanks in adavnce.

8. jpillow

Exactly what Netswork said, make sure you the software loaded and, ip addresses, we usually auto provision via mac address, and if you're not handling the network it helps to have the router configs for their IT guy ahead so that the proper ports are forwarded ahead of time. All of these things will reduce your time onsite and ensure for much more smooth install process.

9. dlazure

can you explain to me in detailos what you do with the codebar scanner?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.