How well does the Siemens Gigaset A580 work?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by brunnenguk, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunnenguk

I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback of experiences with the Siemens Gigaset A580. I'm investigating the possibility of setting up this phone and providing it for a family member to call home without call charges.

I'm considering this model as it has dual mode (IP/fixed line) and is cordless. The scenario I would like is to configure it to connect to the 3CX pbx I have installed at my location and have the A580 connect to that PBX. Because I use NAT on my local network the only way of connecting will be through the 3CX tunnel.

Does anyone know if the tunnel is supported on this phone. If not can anyone suggest a reasonably priced phone that will support tunnelling?

Alternatively, are there any USB "phones" that can interface with the 3CX softphone? (I suspect probably a long shot as they all seem to be designed for use with Skype)

2. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Although I have used Siemens cordless phones, I have not tried the A580.

I would suggest that using a 3CX softphone with the tunnel would probably be the most straightforward. Alternatively, you could you use the A580 with the tunnel proxy. A computer needs to left on for this to work. There are two ways to do this: 1) set up an external extension, with STUN, or with static port mapping 2) set up a router that supports VPN at both sites. There are instructions on how to configure STUN, but I have no idea whether the Siemens phone will work with it. As there is only one extension static port mapping should work OK.

This is the reason I say that a 3CX phone would be the most easy to setup. If you want a handset Sipgate sell them. Actually sold as two for £29 for the pair.

Richard Crabb

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brunnenguk

Thanks for the info.

I take it you are referring to these USB handsets? http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/sipgate/2x_sg-hs100b

If so, would something along these lines work: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sogatel-compatible-cordless-internet-Windows/dp/B000YL4JP2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288045261&sr=8-3

While a PC would still be required (and therefore the softphone) , the handsfree version would provide more mobility (if I can get a cordless handset to work with the softphone then that would certainly make the softphone the most viable option)

4. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

I doubt whether the Sogotel phone would be able to dial calls, although it could from Skype.

A more pragmatic way to obtain free calls might be to set up the Siemens phone with the same SIP provider that you use for 3CX. Often calls between users on the provider are then free. You also then have the support from that provider to setup the Siemens phone. All you have to do on the 3CX is to setup a "dummy extension", so when you dial a defined extension number it routes to that SIP number. The Siemens phones usually have an analogue line connection as well, so that makes it very convenient.

Is that a good idea?

Richard Crabb

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. brunnenguk

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have a SIP provider yet, haven't quite reached that stage yet. Might have a look at SIPgate as a provider

6. CBSYSTEM

Hi,
    The siemens A580 works fine with 3CX when directly connected as well as in stun mode from remote location.
    Nothing special to do.

7. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Thanks CBSYSTEM - good to know that these phones work with STUN.

Then you have a clear choice on how to use these phones. I use Siemens 475IP phones (that are similar to the A580) at my home. These have SIP connectivity to the office 3CX, and an analogue connection to the BT landline, in case 3CX or Internet connectivity fails.

Kind regards
    Richard Crabb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.