Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

HTTP to HTTPS redirect

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by mamo, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mamo

I have noticed that, in order to access the management console or the webclient, you always have to type out https://mycompanyname.3cx.de. If you where to just type mycompanyname.3cx.de, nothing will happen.

This might only be a very small inconvenience and problems related to it (forget it, spelled it wrong etc.) can be resolved quickly. Still, it is a (completely unnecessary) inconvenience.

I do not want to mess with this on an individual basis and maybe break something along the way (already found advice against it). But I see no reason, why this is not included by default. There is no service running on port 80 that might interfere. Provided, that it is configured correctly, this should have no negative effect whatsoever. I think, with a brand new, vanilla installation, done by PBX-Express, this should work out of the box. It seems like a very basic feature that should be very easy to integrate. I find it very odd, that it is not already there.

2. Nam Tran

Our HTTP port is 5000 and HTTPS port is 5001 rather than traditional 80 and 443. Automatically redirecting does not make sense much for me.

3. mamo

OK, in the case of on-premises installation (or generally shared IP-address), where non-standard ports are commonly used, it doesn't make much sense. Seems like my suggestion is not for everyone. I can see that.

But the trend goes towards cloud-based installations, especially with new "PBX Express" installation assistant. These installation will usually use traditional 443.

4. Benedikt Machens

It makes sense if you don't want your user to use HTTP. So it could be an automatic redirect from HTTP(5000) to HTTPS(5001) and it would make sense in your case too.

I would prefer the redirect. Currently you get some 400 errors if you try to access via HTTP in some cases and thats annoying. A redirect is much better thaqn 400 Bad request

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dan-bln likes this.