Huge uptick in blocked IPs as of 9/11/2016

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by chris.moses, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris.moses

Anyone else see a large uptick in blocked IP addresses for "request rate too high"? They almost all seem to be coming from websites running either FreePBX or SugarCRM. We're seeing a new IP blocked every 10-15 minutes or so. Also, the system doesn't seem to be blocking for as long as I have it set in the seetings, usually 120-300 seconds, is there a max number of seconds that I can put in the settings?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use 250,000 seconds. Anything that shows up more than once, gets blacklisted for a few years, either as individual IPs, or a range.

Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary as of late.

3. asmith3006

I allow 2 attempts and then block for 10 years. If it's genuine then I can unblock it pretty easily. I haven't seen an uptake in blocked IPs recently, if anything it's died down. Perhaps you've appeared on a list somewhere?

4. chris.moses

Thanks for the responses, anyone else having trouble with the system actually applying the correct length to the blackout? My system seems to apply a random number between 140-500 seconds regardless of what number I put into the "Blacklist duration in seconds" field of the security page. Running 14 sp3. Are there any services that need to be restarted for changes to take effect?

5. Shiggins88

Hey Chris,

I have seen a huge uptick as well. Nothing has changed with my configuration and I haven't updated the 3CX v14 since June.

6. eug

eug

I've also noticed it, since the 11th. There have been over 200 attempts since then.

7. Davidch

+1

I have the same problem from the 11sept

8. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Please open support tickets so that we can review your logs and help further on this.

In the meantime, some prevention steps can be taken from your side
    - in the Settings / Security / Anti-Hacking / divide each values by two, except the blacklist time interval, and the security barrier (green). Set the blacklist time interval to a higher value such as 31536000 (1 year).
    - in your firewall, filter the SIP port to allow only trusted sources, meaning your VoIP providers IP/range, and remote extensions (if any).
    - validate, restart services.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Sorry for my other thread.. I really did try a search first!

Anyway, the last item is something I will be considering.. locking down SIP.
    Two side-effects are..

I'll need SBCs for end users with remote handsets, so that they can tunnel in.. dynamic IPs won't help me otherwise.
    Audio quality does sound better over 3/4G when on straight SIP versus the tunnel.. just saying.

Given I can rPi an SBC for < US$100 (with a card, and a box, and a power supply..), will probably be the way to go. The remote handsets are for home office folks.. who are a rare breed.

FYI.. even though I shut down most all non-North America (ARIN) IPv4 blocks outright for SIP.. there still a TON of domestic addresses.

"Anti hacking modue".. please correct the English come SPx.
    And yes.. the time is random and NOT what the IP blacklist value is.. at all.
    334.. I don't even.

10. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Indeed if you opt for an SBC then filtering the SIP port won't affect your remote handsets, since the SBC will then connect through the tunnel port.
    Alternatively you may stay in STUN and change your SIP port to an exotic one with higher number, open the port and then reprovision all your phones.

About the typo you mentioned in the notification title it had been already reported for next service pack but thanks anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. golden123

We had a large increase in this too, which seems to have stopped now.

Same thing with the random timings though, which don't seem to relate to any settings.

has been blacklisted for 28 sec
    has been blacklisted for 1001 sec
    has been blacklisted for 10 sec
    has been blacklisted for 11 sec

etc etc....

12. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Those blacklisting times are not random but determined by the amount of traffic received above the amber barrer, but below the red barer.
    The attacker is thus ensuring to not hit the maximum limit to avoid getting blacklisted for good.

To secure further and stop this trafic please apply steps described above on topic45772.html#p185160

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.