Hunt Random Start ringing ext twice in a row

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pukkainc, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pukkainc

I am creating queues with the polling of Hunt Random Start. We want the system to randomly ring the extensions in the queue. However, it often is ringing the same extension twice in a row. We do not want this. If the agent is not available to take the call, we don't want the customer to have to wait again while it rings them a 2nd time.

Is this the correct behavior? If it is, can you explain why this scenario would be used? I would think it would ring each extension once before repeating.

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The polling strategies that have the name 'random' in them use the literal sense of the word, meaning each call that comes in has an equal chance of ringing any of the available (not busy) agents in the Queue at the time.

If an agent is already busy, the Queue will not try to poll them.

So yes, it is possible to have 10 agents in a Queue, all of them idle, first call comes in and goes to agent 1, then they hang up, second calls in, the call goes to to agent 1 again.

3. pukkainc

I'm not referring to separate phone calls. I'm talking about the same phone call. Within the same call, it is ringing the same extension twice in a row. For instance, I have the ring timeout set to 20 seconds. When a call comes in, it will ring the same extension twice in row, for a total of 40 seconds! I understand the random part, but I don't understand why anyone would want to ring the same extension twice in a row within the same call.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Is it possible that you have the same phone configured with 2 different extensions both in the same ring group set to sequential as a strategy. If not, then a call log will help.

5. pukkainc

No that is not the case. I just have 5 test phones set up, each with 1 extension. Next week I'll provide some logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.