• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hyper-V Live Migration Drops License Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaton

Reaction score
Description of the environment

We are running 3CX V10 SP2 Commercial Edition.

We have decided to try and move our installation into a 2 node Hyper-V Failover cluster. Both nodes are running Hyper-V Server 2008. Node 1 is the box we plan to use in production. Node 2 is only being used to prove the concept and will be replaced with a box identical to node 1 in the production environment. Node 2 (Dual Core 2GB RAM) is significantly different from Node 1 (Dual Quad Core 32GB RAM).

The VM is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and has been given 4GB RAM and 2 Cores. We enabled the “Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version” for testing but this will not be checked in production.)

We are using a Fixed Size VHD that is stored on a Cluster Shared Volume, the machine configuration files are also stored on a Cluster Shared Volume. We are using FreeNAS to host the iSCSI disks but we will be using a Dell MD3000i in production.

Description of the problem

When we do a live migration from one node to the other our product key is lost and the software converts back to the Free edition. Besides that live migration works great. We have tested with live phone calls and it works perfectly – I still smile every time we do a successful live migration test. :D

I suspect 3CX is doing a hardware hash and notices different hardware which deactivates the key. When we re-enter the key it works fine again.

My Question

Is anyone aware of a workaround?
Will this problem go away once Node 1 and Node 2 have the same hardware configuration?

Thank-you for any help you might be able to provide!

Hi,

as far as I read and understood the 3CX licensing policy, you are allowed to backup the configuration, uninstall the 3CX Phonesystem, install it (or a newer version) on a new machine, restore the configuration and enter the license key again. This should not constitute a license breach.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leo13215464
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.