Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

I Am Messing Up A Simple Call Transfer & Pull Back

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JCLloyd, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

If this looks like a cross-post, I tried typing something in General -> Documentation that doesn't read well and hasn't been addressed. I am thinking it should be here...

I am trying to successfully repeat the scenario of doing an attended transfer to an extension where the person asks me to forward the call to their voice mail for them. The majority of the time, I end up with caller listening to nothing and a line parked. Sometimes, I get the call back, but I can't seem to blind transfer to *4+number.

I was hoping there was some documentation or video that exists going through the process/steps. I keep finding threads that point back to the user guide, which isn't helping me.

I am sure it is something I am doing incorrectly or missing. Any assistance would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested, my original, and poorly crafted, thread is here:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...usage-document-video-exist.51849/#post-211914

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi JCLloyd,

The process to transfer a call directly to another extension's voicemail is as you described above. Press transfer button, then dial *4 + ext number, finally hang up your phone. The incoming call will be transfered directly to the dialed extension's voicemail. The process is the same if you are using 3CX client for windows.

3. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

So... I have done an attended transfer, and the answering person says to forward the caller to their voicemail... I still end up with the caller on hold, and I have to pick it back up to blind-transfer it to *4+Number. Without knowing in advance to blind-transfer an inbound caller directly to a voicemail box, I haven't figure out how to gracefully divert a caller after an extension picks up.

Sorry... I am not getting this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

It looks like the 3CX Support Team is close to GMT(0) Time, where I am on GMT(-7)... at least until March 11 of 2018. So, my daily update is...

In my scenario (see above), I am most likely to end up with a caller who I can talk to, but... If I try to blind-transfer back to the voicemail of the extension that did not want to take the call, the call seems connected with the caller hearing nothing and I can't get the caller back. Either, they hang up out of frustration, the call times out, or I disconnect them.

I am not sure what to make of this. I would like to start rolling the system into production, but not while I cannot master basic things like this.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

5. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

I just stumbled onto another issue that may be related to this one...
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/10-second-delay-recording-voicemail.46959/

I found that I am not leaving any audio in voice messages, which is odd since that was working 2 weeks ago. I am running out of time for today, but replacing the beep tone did not initially work for me.

Maybe, this will shed some light on where my issue is. I'll be back in the office in about 15 hours...

6. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello JCLloyd
    In order to blind transfer the call which is on hold you'll have to first retrieve the call, then press blind transfer *4+ext. number. I have tried the scenario using various devices and it works.

7. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

Then, I need to figure out why my calls go into limbo and why the messages that record are the expected length without audio. I was hoping someone could shed some some light on what I could look at. The wave file in that URL did not work for me. I am doing more testing and may have an update by the end of my day.

8. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

There is something more systemic going on... It seems that inbound calls are not getting audio from any prerecorded source. I get bi-directional audio when someone picks up a call. Any inbound external call that is not answered does not process audio in either direction. That means the wave files are not playing to the caller, and any recording the caller makes has no audio. Everything from extension to extension (internal) seems to work fine.

9. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

I think I have narrowed things down... The issue is happening on the LG VS990/V10 cell phone I am using to dial in with. It is on Verizon Wireless. Another employee is not having the issue dialing in from a Motorola cell phone, also on Verizon wireless.

I am not sure if this thread is leading me in the correct direction, but I am now looking at the amplitude, gain and EQ of the files I recorded...
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...ust-the-recording-level-in-3cx-vm.5210/page-2
    . Let me know if you think this is a viable or fruitless pursuit.

Update {1 hour Later}: I called from my Google Voice number, on the same LG phone... No issues. If you know of any issues with, and possible workarounds for, specific cell phones and carrier combinations, it would be great to get that prominently displayed somewhere that is easily locatable on the forums. In the meantime, I am calling my carrier (Verizon Wireless). I am not sure if I will get anywhere with this level of technicality, but I will update this with whatever I might find.

Update (Another Hour Later}: This issue is... ONLY MY ONE CELL PHONE... My wife has the same LG V10 phone on the same Verizon Wireless account, and that works fine. Charter/Spectrum works. Frontier Communications works fine. Go figure...

So, it looks like I need to address my phone. In case someone else has this crazy problem.

#9 JCLloyd, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad you figured out the cause and thank you for updating this post. Perhaps someone else faces this issue and finds this post helpful.

11. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

My solution was actually a work-around. I removed the 3CX Client for Android.

When I would dial the 3CX primary number using the cell phone carrier, the 3CX Client starts up to answer the incoming call over Wi-Fi. When it does, I lose the microphone and speaker from the cell phone carrier call. It is like they have been diverted. So, I let the call ring through to voicemail, and I hear nothing... I record silence.

The crazy thing is that I can use Google Hangouts with a Google Voice number from the same phone. Using the same Wi-Fi connection, I dial out. The 3CX Client wakes up and everything works without a flaw. I hear the IVR, press numbers, get to a voice mailbox and leave a clear message.

I didn't see anything mentioning this would not work in the literature I've read through on the 3CX site... at least as far as I have gotten. If that is a 'bug' maybe it should be noted. If it normally isn't a bug, then it might be the particular phone I have.

FYI...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.