I don't know how to configure VoIP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by teh_spartan, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teh_spartan

I am having several problems with 3CX

• 1. No sound from PSTN gateway or Skype connect. but the person on the other line can hear me.
      2. Incoming calls from Skype Connect PBX ring twice and then go to busy but outgoing calls work.
      3. Cant tell if voice mail is working. (you should be able to get voicemail from the manager.)
      4. After I added Skype as a VoIP provider STUN stopped working.
      5. Can I have the digital receptionist do a "If you know your parties extension please dial it now" function?
      6. Can i set the external ports and the internal ports to the same value because i have an extension that will travel in and out of Work network or will i have to set up a proxy?
      7. Lastly the 3cx firewall checker is crap. it always fails of step 1a but when i run my own firewall checker with all services running there are no problems.
    The last one is just a comment but when/if you respond please state the number of the problem you are responding to to make it easy to read though.

could all these problems be caused by a lack of ram? I only have 512 MB. i have never had this problem with other servers but i am more experienced in web and proxy servers.

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Re: Laundry list of problems with 3cx

1. Most likely firewall problem
    2. Most likely firewall problem
    3. Not sure why you cant tell it is working. You cant leave a message? You cant retrieve it from the phone? From the web portal? From another phone? From email? Can you clarify as there are many ways to check if it is working.
    4. I believe (but not sure) that you have to turn off stun for Skype connect. Do you have a static public ip for this pbx? If so then plug that in and turn off stun all together.
    5. Yes - when the digital receptionist is on you can do that or you can even say "if you know your parties extension number press 1" and then pass to another digital receptionist (that can also read out the extensions if you want).
    6. Doubtful. Use the proxy if it is going to be from outside.
    7. The firewall checker works but is failing - hence your problems with #1 and #2 above. I assume you turn off the phone and tunnel service before running the checker? Have you tried turning off the firewall totally and trying it (and seeing if #1 and #2 work). Are you telnet'ing on those ports? Inbound and outbound?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. teh_spartan

1-2. not a firewall problem. the server has no firewall and is in a DMZ meaning that it is and it is completely exposed.i made sure of this my firewall checker says that ports 400-10000 are all open. so i know its not firewall.

3. i get no incoming audio so dialing to the voice mail is useless and i don't get alerts on my soft phone saying i have messages

4. i will look into that i have a ddns name for the server

5. cool

6. how do i set the proxy?

7. # 1-2 state my reasoning for it being absolute crap.

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

so your server is in a DMZ but your phones are not in the same DMZ?

If that is the case then all your phones are remote extensions unless you are doing some 1 to 1 nat for each phone?

use this to configure remote extensions and proxies

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/

When you say your firewall checker said ports 400 - 10000 are all open, do you mean both ways? What about NAT? Is there 1 to one nat going on? Or are you port forwarding all those ports to that?

Try the remote extension setup.

To check the voicemail even though you dont have audio you can log in to the pbx as a user (needs ext # and PIN) and you will see the Myphone portal. It shows all voicemails aswell as call history and forwarding rules.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While the lack of memory may not be the cause of all of your issues It could be creating some. While some users have had success using using one gig of memory on a small system, I would stay with at least two. 512 Mb is barely able to run Win XP alone without having to cache to the harddrive constantly, something you don't want to be doing with VoIP.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I assumed he was using a server as he mentions servers in the post.

Server resources are a lot less (for example we run full hosted desktops for customers and because we use Win2k8 server with remote desktop experience turned on the users see no difference and we use 20% of the resources than if we use Windows 7).

So although 512Mb is low it is probably ok for now. 2Gb on the server for just 3cx is a lot.

7. teh_spartan

I am port forwarding but i am looking into a NAT Solution.

My employees (and their phones) are traveling in and out of the work network all my employees have Iphones or Ipads and use acrobits groundwire as their main sip phone

I think that i should set up a proxy from my web server that goes back to the server this will add lag but i don't mind.

so i want to set up a remote server so that calls go from the

phones to the remote server (possibly at my home) back to the 3cx on my work server

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you made use of the 3CX logs to see if they give you any clues as to what might be causing some of your problems?

9. teh_spartan

well this time leejor (if you remember last time in september) there are no problems in the log about no RDP connections. I will upload a log and config once i get a chance to clean it and attempt some calls.

and to reiterate what i said before because it does not make that much sense

If I can configure NAT, I will not have to set up a proxy and all extensions will be external wether they are on the same network or not right?

If I can't con figure NAT, I can set up a proxy server on another ip and route all calls through that server so that they will work on the same network as the 3cx server or any other network?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What is considered on-network and off-network, to 3CX, or how it decides...I'm not sure, i haven't had the need to look into that. (maybe someone from 3CX will inform us) It may be based on the IP, how much matches the IP of the 3CX server, the subnet mask?

If all of your sets are mobile, travelling in and out of the office, then it's probably best that they are always set to make use of STUN and it's to be expected that they are never on the "home" LAN. Otherwise leaving STUN on at all times may (you'll have to test that) cause issues when on the home LAN. Each set will have to have a unique port number for the times that more than one are behind the same router at the same time.

If you set up the 3CX proxy server at a remote location then I'm pretty sure that 3CX will consider any set connected through that to be on the same LAN. Which is fine for users while in the office, but their settings still have to work properly if they move outside that WiFi LAN.

11. teh_spartan

ok so i downloaded a program called telephone for mac and was able to make a call with audio in both directions! just out of the blue. so i think there might be a problem with my application i am going to dubble check the logs from ground wire but i think it is getting the ports messed up

my ground wire phone alwase has a ?/ infront of the codec it is useing for the call what codecs does 3cx use so i can hopefully fix this problem.

12. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The Digital receptionnist supports this feature. You have to add the "If you know your parties extension please dial it now" prompt in the Digital Receptionists Prompt File yourself by recording it.
    To use this feature you simply call up ANY digital receptionist and dial the number of the internal user you want to call.

13. abc123

abc123 Active Member

You said that you were using iphones and ipads.

Why not use iSip on those as it is probably the best for 3cx until the 3cx phone is in the app store (I understand 3cx have submitted it to Apple for inclusion so should be a few weeks).

I know a few people who are using it.

14. teh_spartan

ya good point i just wanted to test it with another phone. i will deffinetly check out the 3cx app when it comes out.

15. teh_spartan

lol admin nice topic name change. but you could have said it differently

could i use a vpn to bypass firewalls if 3g is unavalible and a firewall is blocking the ports?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.