I have forgotten how to do this....

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by godskitchen, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godskitchen

Hello all,

I need a little help....

I want to change the ring tone that a customer hears when they call our phone system.

It is currently a progress tone like you would expect.

I am sure I have changed this before but I can not find the file I need to replace anywhere.

Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

This is typically not possible as the tones have specific frequencies, rates, etc, that have meaning/signalling when on the outside PSTN network and are carrier generated.

Now then, once the call is answered and moved around internally you can have a recording of a desired ringtone that the caller will hear.

You can also change the ringtone on your internal phones, for calls coming in (received) but this is done by alert-info SIP messages that then correlate to a tone pre-loaded into the phone. It may also be done on some phones based upon the received caller-id so that a specific caller (such as the boss) can be uniquely identified.

Think of the mobile/cell phone, The caller will always hear the standard ring-back tone as provided by the (usually) delivering carrier; yet the person being called may have a custom ring tone that is only played/heard by the person being called...not the caller.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It all depends on how you expect this to work. As mentioned, the initial customer ringback is provided by either the originating provider, or your (terminating) provider. This can vary, depending on whether audio is cut through before answer supervision (an SS7 thing). So, until 3CX actually answers the call, you have no control over what the caller hears. At the point of answer, ringback should stop, and the caller is connected to a queue, person, Digital receptionist, etc. The ringback tone they hear after that is internal and usually decided upon based on the country the PBX is located so as not to confuse most users. Any change to the ringback tone-set will affect all callers on the PBX, internal, and on external callers, when being transferred.

4. godskitchen

Hello,

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear, I want to change the tone after the call is answered internally.

I have done it before, I changed what I thought was called "US Progress Tone" now I can't find it.

This site does not really put people on hold so I want the progress tone once the call is answered by a digital receptionist and give a promotional message.....

Any ideas?

5. Sopock

Sopock Member

now I wonder why there is only 1 such tone - USProgresstone.wav(look in comments) :?:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.