• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

If you can pick any Win Hardware and OS what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Duncan

Reaction score
I am preparing to test 3CX in our office with the intent to move to it soon (assuming the Test works fine). I have several questions in that regard and would appreciate a range of opinions regarding the best approach to server/PC hardware and Win OS version. I have read the listing of all supported and recommended hardware and software and I am looking to narrow that somewhat to the "Optimal".
First some background:
1) We have been running a SIP/VOIP system for 5 or 6 years with Fonality/PBXtra PBX. This has worked fairly well but Fonality is now discontinuing this hardware and support
2) We are pretty much a windows "Shop" for both servers and desktops, most support of which is out-sourced but the hardware is on-site -so on that basis 3CX is appealing
3) We have been using FlowRoute as a SIP provider for several years and that has worked well for us
4) We currently have about 10 Polycom 650s, but I would plan to buy several Yealink phones as part of my test (feel free to voice an opinion here regarding alternatives)
5) We use a WatchGuard firewall

So (finally) here is my question: We currently have several servers that could probably support 3CX as is, but I am thinking for both stability and admin reasons it probably makes sense to utilize a separate piece of hardware. So assuming I stay within the recommended/supported list, would you choose Windows Pro 7 or 8? (I am assuming 64-bit in either case but let me know otherwise) or would you go for Windows Server?
What I am really curious about is whether is makes sense to try a small (good quality) fan-less PC (maybe i7 processor) with an SSD instead of a hard drive and however much RAM is optimal. It would be small, run cool, and should be up to the task if I correctly understand the system requirements. And a good battery backup.
Can those of you with experience on these issues provide some opinions? In short - what is the optimal hardward/software platform for 3CX? Thanks in advance - you may have to get in line if you want to call me a lunatic....

Re: If you can pick any Win Hardware and OS what would it b

In my lost shop I ran 100 endpoints on a Mac Mini running bootcamp - i5 I think with 4gb ram - with Win 7 Pro.
No issues to speak of. We were not recording all of the calls - I understand this creates a lot of overhead.
3cx v12.5 only runs on 64 bit now.

Also had a Watchguard router - but just before I left changed to a Mikrotik CCR1016. The whole system seemed to "pop" a bit. Everyone said it just seems like everything is responding faster - we had 100+ people using RDP to access our software.

3cx was a good system - but certainly has a lot of bells and whistles, that in the end, most of my users didn't want. Flowroute is an approved provider (http://www.3cx.com/partners/sip-trunks/usa/) but there are many others as well. SigmaVoip seems to be pretty popular. The servers are redundant and run at about 20% capacity all the time. They increase capacity whenever they get around 30%.There customer support has been great. I have never used Flowrote - if you are happy with them, perhaps stick with it. Certainly easier not having to port any numbers.
The one thing I needed on 3cx was the ability to set a Caller ID when we call 911. Otherwise, I could not have the DID's for outbound caller id - as those users would show the wrong caller id. Perhaps Flowroute is able to override caller id when you dial 911.

Hope this information is helpful in your decision making process.

Hi Duncan,

We typically install 3CX on Hyper-V virtualised servers running server 2012

For smaller sites we typically use HP ML110 entry level servers with 4-8GB RAM running Server 2012 Foundation R2

The latter sounds like it might be appropriate for your needs

I would suggest that you consider the following

3CX V12.5 needs to be installed on a 64bit OS

If you wish to use the latest WebRTC technology for 'click to call' on your website, you may wish to get a trusted third party SSL Certificate to ensure that your website visitors don't see Certificate warnings when connecting. In order to use a third party certificate authority for SSL you will need to use IIS (Available in all server operating systems) rather than the built in Abyss web server that would have to use if selecting a desktop OS like Windows 7/8

If you're not planning to use WebRTC then Windows 7/8 would be fine

I believe that you can use your existing Polycom IP650 with the latest firmware, although support for Yealink provisioning is better if not the best. We choose to use Snom IP phones. Snom 710 for entry level and Snom 720 for those who may require more buttons.

Watchguard FW should also be fine. We have only had issues with Sonicwall FWs where we have to disable their VoIP Translation features and increase UDP timeouts from 30 secs to 60 secs. Just make sure your chosen FW or Modems do not have SIP ALG enabled

Regarding your specific question. Selecting hardware with no moving parts ie fanless and SSD would be a good choice but if you ensure that you perform a 3cx backup after completing the install/config recovering from failed hardware is a breeze, just start new installation and 'Restore from backup'

Hope that is of some help

Craig
3CX Advanced Certified
http://www.internetvoipphone.co.uk/3cx-phone-systems.html

Install it on a virtual machine.

This allows you to move it to any physical machine as needed - and allows you to keep a replica of the VM on a different PM.
You can allocate resources to the VM as needed.

Craig, Craig, and Jake - Thank you for very helpful responses. I think I am going to install on a small i7 CPU running Win 7 64 bit for testing (with several different phone models) and then likely go the virtual server route for deployment based on the information and suggestions you provided. Thank you again for your help - Bob

I have successfully installed a EuroDNS Alpha (Free) SSL certificate on Abyss (Win 7 Pro) for WebRTC and all works fine.

Unless I'm missing something you don't need IIS to use 3CX with SSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phiiit
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.