• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Iinstalling 3cx on a virtualized machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelD

Reaction score
Unless I am missing something, I have to wonder why there is posted on this site instructions on how to Set up a Hyper-V virtual server instance for 3CX PBX.

After all the time I spent installing Windows Server 2008, and setting up a virtual instance, I discover that Hyper-V virtual servers do not support audio, except via RDP back to the host machine. That seems useless, as a remote desktop connection has to be running at all times.

So, why does 3CX post these instructions?

What am I missing?

MichaelD

Re: Wasting time installing 3cx on a virtualized machine.

For me works like a charm. I use Windows server 2008 Std R2 as a virtualized guest running on 2008 Enterprise R2

You have to enable the ‘Desktop Experience’ role

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/hyper-v-instance/

Regards,
Karlo

kkuhar said:
For me works like a charm. I use Windows server 2008 Std R2 as a virtualized guest running on 2008 Enterprise R2

You have to enable the ‘Desktop Experience’ role

Hello Karlo. Thanks for the reply.

I did enable Desktop Experience. The problem is that virtual machine has no audio hardware installed, and I don't see a way attach to the audio hardware in the host machine.

On your virtual machine, look in the device manager under sound. Do you have something listed there?

MichaelD

I just checked and found no sound devices. Why do you need them anyway?
What's bothering you? I don't get it.

kkuhar said:
I just checked and found no sound devices. Why do you need them anyway?
What's bothering you? I don't get it.

The 3cx setup instructions say that audio has to play, without prompts, on the machine upon which the PBX is installed. It can't do that without audio hardware.

Maybe the PBX works fine without local audio playback capability?

MichaelD

No local audio hardware needs to be installed - your PBX will work fine.

The Skype gateway requires local audio hardware but quite frankly i recommend using a SIP provider instead and if you still wish to use Skype installing it on a separate machine.

admin said:
No local audio hardware needs to be installed - your PBX will work fine.

Great news, thanks!

MichaelD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
driscolls.it
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.