• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

iLBC codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

complex1

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi,

I am using iLBC codec on my iPhone and noticed it is using the 30ms frame length.

The advantage of encoding every 30ms is that the encoded data rate is lower: 13.33 kbit/sec as opposed to 15.20 kbit/sec for 20ms frames. However, encoding every 30ms leads to 50% more delay in the received speech, which can cause undesirable latency.

What did 3CX decide to use the 30ms codec and not the 20ms codec?

We'll have to check - we implemented the ILBC codec on all 3CX clients several years ago, honestly I cannot remember that decision.

I'm very interested in the outcome, so please let me know... and hopefully you reconsider your choice, if 30ms frame length actually does delay the received speech.
Just to make a better product.

Just a note:
The difference between 20ms and 30ms modes in iLBC is not "50% more delay", it is just additional 10ms to the "common delay".

Reactions: LeonidasG_3CX
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.