iLBC/Speex codecs support

Discussion in 'Windows' started by abhi23m, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi23m

Hi,
    After using a looooots of softfones with lots of SIP services (I use around 10 SIP providers), I finally found 3CXphone (Softphone/Client) to be really good & clean in working (though, strangely enough STUN req always fails, but on my simple n/w its not required).
    However, all the good features of 3CXphone gets nullified in the absence of good codecs support. I remember reading at many places that iLBC/Speex are supported, but I never see it in my preference windows. All I see is aLaw/uLaw & GSM (I guess, iLBC & Speex are supported on 3cx PBX & not Softphone, which is strange, considering, ideal solution you'd want to push is use complete 3CX system including Softphone so the features should be matching)
    Though, u/A-Law are essential to have since they are final fallback options & GSM is good to have because of compatibility with mVoIP solutions, but there codecs are not primary codecs any more for modern days. (Laws are to bandwidths hungry & GSM does not have a high voice quality) Primary codec these days are G729, iLBC & Speex (Others like G722(.1 & .2), G726 etc are equally good to have). Now I understand that being a free SW it is out of question to provide Licensed/Patented codecs like 729 & 722.1/2 etc, but what about free ones ? Today any VoIP SW is incomplete without atleast iLBC & Speex support. I am stressing it so much because I really really want to use 3cx phone as my primary client. I am in no mood to write a completely new SW & re-invent the wheel. (No other free SW is as usable & stable as 3cxphone, atleast none of the ones I used) I am surprised no one has raised this concern yet ??

--
    Abhi

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Speex has been included in the latest Android release, perhaps it will also be included in the next release of the Windows version.

3. XIII

bump, fully agree with poster, same concerns, extremely good codec advice for 3cx team to heed to, at least try to match, (bria has speex) voip is getting saturated and redundant with providers and services and pbx's galore and hosted/cloud etc, 3cx has great opportunity to dominate in the on-premise sector here but i find myself disappointed with lack of codecs, was such a buzz kill, and continously hunting for application that would win my eternal loyalty in this tech sector... here's waiting for a market leader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.