Implementing 3CX in Motel Environment with Analog Lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kwriley87, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwriley87

Hi all

I have about 5+ years of experience with Asterisk platforms such as FreePBX, Elastix, PIAF, and I have previous experience with 3CX as well.

We have a new customer that has a motel with 36 rooms. This is the typical 2 story motel building model, where there is already analog lines ran to each room, and no ability to run new network cabling to the rooms (due to lack of ceiling space to run cable, the fact you'd have to punch a bunch of holes in drywall, etc).

They are wanting a new phone system and after doing some research, I would love to be able to implement 3CX in their environment with the 3CX Hotel Module.

Since most of my experience is with SIP trunks, I don't have much knowledge at all with analog phone systems and how to use existing analog lines to connect to an Asterisk or 3CX server. Of course I have done this on a smaller scale in the past with hooking up credit card machines and fax machines to ATA adapters but that's about it. I believe this can be done with using some larger analog gateways, but I'm just not sure on what I'm getting myself into and what would be required.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?

Thanks!

#1 kwriley87, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. dan_tx

Last I incorporated more than 20 analog lines, it was painless. Overall it was just as easy as doing regular sip phones. No extra cables to run or phones to deploy. The most time consuming was tracing the analog lines from the phone to the punch down block since nothing was labeled very well. Then moving the analog lines they are keeping onto their own block since they had about 400 and were keeping 40 of them (fax, CC, or they wanted the analog phones for those locations). You then hook up the analog lines to whichever gateway you buy, label them on the 3cx/gateway side as the extensions they need to be and your done. This was a Shoretel deployment but I would think it is pretty much the same.

For a cleaner look or faster setup you may want to look into a gateway with a 50-pin Telco connector to the block instead of all those plugs into the back of the gateway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kwriley87

Hi Dan,

This is what I thought I would need and that's the exact gateway I have been looking at. Thank you for reassuring me that is the right choice.

One last question, since all the rooms will be using analog phones, how would I go about configuring a dial plan setting so when someone presses 0, it rings the front desk?

Thanks for your input!

4. dan_tx

It looks like this link http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/dial-0-for-operator/ provides the answer, even though it is for an older version. In v15 you need to look under Extensions --> Options , then SIP ID. Put a 0 there and it works. If that didn't work, which it does, you could always do it a little more complicated and make a phone template for all the rooms adding a replace rule from 0 to XXX(operator ext) if you have a yealink or phone that supports replacing dial strings.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind, when retaining/re-using hotel/motel analogue sets, is...what type of message waiting was previously used. If it was the older, high voltage/ neon bulb type, then you have to be sure that the ATA will supports that. Some will, and some will only support CLASS services.

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@kwriley87
    Please note that the hotel module is not available for V15 as it is still being developed so for now you will need to use V14

7. Sopock

Sopock Member

Maybe that customer would like to also offer some IPTV service of FTA channels for some rooms?
    One way to start would be to use TPA-311, but note that max. distance would be significantly reduced over phone wire.

I wonder how there are no IP phones with these built-in modems?:cool:
    • G.hn (ITU-T G.9960/1/2/3/4) Modems for Home Media Networks enable a completely self-install home entertainment network for distribution of Triple Play and IPTV over all existing wires in the home; powerline, coax and phoneline.
    • The concept behind HomePNA® is straightforward. Simply connect the first HomePNA® enabled device to any available phone jack or coax outlet and the other HomePNA® devices to other phone jacks or coax outlets and you are good to go. Every phone jack or every coax outlet becomes a connectivity point which enables the extension of the home AV network to every room in the house.
    • The KX-TPA65 desktop DECT phone offers a significant advantage over traditional desk phones. While it features the same range of desktop functionality as its wired competitors, the phone's DECT capabilities mean no wired LAN is required for installation, making the process quick, convenient and straightforward anywhere there's an electrical outlet nearby.
    The chipsets are optimized for IPTV applications to deliver multiple streams of high definition TV (HDTV) video content, 3DTV video traffic, audio content, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), data, gaming and other applications that are highly QoS-sensitive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #7 Sopock, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.