IMPORTANT NOTE 3CX V10: WEB PORT CHANGED TO 5000

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nb, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Note - In Version 10, the web port has changed to 5000

There is no difference between IIS and ABYSS - they both have the same configuration

Therefore to access management console -
    http://IPADDRESS:5000/management

MyPhone
    http://IPADDRESS:5000/myphone

Provisioning
    http://IPADDRESS:5000/provisioning

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Was there a reason why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes there were valid reasons for this. but this port will now never change again.

default website on IIS is 80. 80 is restricted and we could not manipulate it how we want. Also there might be other websites on 80 and when other installations make changes they can screw up our websites.

So we moved everything to 5000.

4. E Kafeman

Is port 5000 setting hardwired? ;)
    Port 5000 is a commonly used port in several softwares.
    These IP-intercoms are hardwired to port 5000:
    http://www.digitalacoustics.com/ii3_components.htm, hard-wiring is not smart.
    Labview data server is using UDP port 5000-5010.
    I am using LabView server and 3CX V9 in the same computer.
    For me is it is possible to change LabView ports but a bit complicated as more computers then must be reconfigured.
    It is worse for these were this setting will cause hardware conflicts.

5. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can change it if you want. We will make the port changeable soon.

You have to change it in 2 places and you should be fine. What webserver do you use IIS or Abyss?

6. E Kafeman

I am using IIS and and some additional servers for a semi-smart house. Do not dare to count number of servers but only the electrical switches and heating are controlled by two additional servers and by phone, by sending DTMF codes and of course can it be controlled as a common web interface over IIS. LabView is used for controlling a water plant, serving 100 houses with fresh water, not just my house.
    As software developer, I know that final user not should be presented with too many settings, most of them will not have any conflict with port 5000. I just reacted that it seemed a bit locked, that port 5000 never ever again will change. Sooner or later will it be someone that complains when trying to run both LabView and 3CX :roll:

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Very interesting what you are doing here.

I understand your concern and need to change the port too. You can do this with 2 simple steps.

You have 2 changes to make to change the port from 5000 to something else.

1) Go to IIS, stop the 3CX Application pool, then click on 3CX Phone System Web Server site and click on Bindings.
    Change the port to something other than 5000.

IIS part is ok.

2) There is 1 final change to make in an XML file for IVR.
    Go here C:\Program Files (x86)\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Ivr\Cfg
    You will find a file 3CXIvr.cfg - open it

Find this section (line 19)
    #####################################
    # testClient specific configuration #
    #####################################

client.vxmlURL VXIString http://localhost:5000/ivr/ivr_start.aspx

Here you can see that 5000 is specified. Change this to the port you want, save the file and restart the 3CX Digital receptionist. After all this give a restart all of all the services.

OPTIONAL : 3) Then go to the start menu shortcuts and update them to the new information. Everything will be done at this point. Also update the firewall exceptions for the webserver. The port is now changed.

8. ledname

Can you please post the steps for changing the port when using the Abyss web server? Also, is there an article on moving from Abyss to IIS?

9. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Abyss very simple. Go program files, 3cx, bin, webserver: open abyss.conf. search for 5000 and replace. Restart everything.

10. nbailey

nbailey Member

Sorry there is not an article on this topic, but moving from Abyss to IIS means you need to do a backup of your current configuration, uninstall, reinstall select IIS instead of Abyss and restore backup. But depending on how large your install is IIS might be a better option.

11. jcasares

Do you have any numbers? I would like to know when IIS is better suited.
    Are there any drawbacks to change the port to 80 when you were using 5000 before (like MyPhone desktop application not logging in)?

12. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

if 3CX allow you to chnage the port number and this is supported, then i see no reason why port 80 wont work.

as to your other question, we have used both IIS and Abyss and we actually found Abyss to be better, does not use so much memory as IIS, we have installs of 27 users who use abyss.

Also if you use Digital recepionsist digital receptionist, someomes there be be a delay between when a caller is connected to when the prompt is played to the caller, sometimes between 1 and 5 seconds. with Abyss its always been 0 to 2 seconds.

13. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Comments on this.

IIS is suited when you have more than 50 extensions. Below this you can use Abyss.
    No drawbacks - just a simple port number HOWEVER on port 80, IIS has the default website. This is a website suited for simple proof of concept. This is why we decided to move away from port 80 because we could not manipulate the default website as we wanted. Also some applications also install stuff under the default website and run some scripts ,on the default website which conflict with our web applications. This is why we changed the port. And then since we changed the port on IIS, we wanted both IIS and abyss to work under the same port so we made 1 final change to the ports in V10 - moved everything on port 5000. We will never change this again.

How you put this point, you sounds that there is a delay in IVR or that one webserver has more delay than the other. This is not true. And I will explain this.

3CX does not allow you to change the port. But you can do it if you want. This thread describes how to do it. It is just a port at the end of the day. However if using port 80, care must be taken if using IIS because as I said before there is the default website in there. The default website MUST NOT BE DELETED IN IIS and from my experience, not even modified. If this is touched in some way or broken, this can affect IIS in general. Also if port 80 is used by something else, there will of course be problems.

As with the delay, there is no difference in this delay between IIS and Abyss. The difference is because of the power of the machine. To understand what I am saying first you have to understand from where this delay originates from.

To maintain memory consumption and control, a webserver goes to "sleep" when it is not getting hits. So the worker process goes idle if it does not get any hits example after a couple of hours of not getting any hits on that web application in particular. Now when a call comes in to the ivr, all of a sudden, the webser is faced with a hit. In this time the worker process has to start operating and from IDLE, has to 1) Revive the worker process, 1) serve the request, 3) rebuild its cache, 4) fetch the appropriate prompt and 5) You hear it.

This is where the delay is coming from.

Now delay can vary from 2 seconds to even 11 seconds, Depending on the power/resources of the machine, operating system, and also depending on the files it has to pre-cache. What I mean is that there are many factors in this. A clear example is a case like this. If PC1 has 1 ,prompt set and pc2 has 5 prompt sets, pc 2 can be using abyss or any webserver in the world - the delay will be much much greater than that of pc1 because the fetch procedure has to be done in 20 Megs of audio prompts not 2 Mb. This is one of the examples and how this delay can be minimized.

Note: This only happens on the first call - example it is evident when you make a call in the morning to the IVR. The webserver would have had nearly no hits for a couple of hours in the early morning. You will notice a blank gap of sound until you hear "Please enter your PIN..."

Suggestions to fix this without keeping the webserver at high memory usage is to make a script that makes an HTTP API call to the ivr every 2 hours for example. Like this the delay can be minimized. A simple call to 999 will be enough.

Also it is important that the IVR website does not have to cache unnecessary prompts. This means that if you need only Standard English prompt sets, do not also keep chinese and spanish prompts for example. Delete all the prompt sets that you do not use. Like this the IVR service has less prompts to cache.

Hope this has made the situation clearer.

14. haywardi

Hi Nicky,

What a fantastic explanation. Thank you.

One thought, my telephone system is so important that I really don't care if consumes more memory/CPU cycles because the server has to be able to deal with it anyway when the system is fully active...

Therefore why bother sending it to sleep?

If it's just part of the normal operation of abyss/iis then how about 3cx automatically waking it up again every two hours?

For me, the telephone system is the first bit of customer service, therefore why would I want to customer or potential customers waiting at all?

Iain

15. Thor2008

good morning
    for manage 3cx from remote which port must i publish ?

thanks Alberto

16. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

All activity is managed thru port 5000.

http://local_or_ private_ IP:5000/Managememnt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.