Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Implemented Improve worldwide speed of downloads.3cx.com

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by mcbsys, Mar 14, 2017.

Implemented Improve worldwide speed of downloads.3cx.com 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

3CX relies heavily on downloads.3cx.com, currently hosted in France. Download speed from this server is only about 30 KB/s from multiple customers in the Western U.S. Downloading a 24MB phone firmware update takes 13+ minutes, which means it will always fail due to the 4-minute timeout. (Extending the timeout is possible but unsupported.) Downloading the 158MB 3CX installer takes 2 hours.

Please research and implement a solution to ensure fast worldwide downloads from downloads.3cx.com. Maybe it would be enough to host at a global cloud provider (AWS, Azure), but more likely, the best solution is to use a Content Delivery Network (CDN) like AWS Cloudfront..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 mcbsys, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Same can be argued for STUN servers. Maybe this degradation is caused by new users from Elastix?:confused:
    Those test installs should use one of 7 new STUN servers(3cx.co.uk,..., nl) based on selected country?

In the third quarter of 2016, the United States again had the fastest average connection speed among surveyed Americas countries at 16.3 Mbps, with Canada just 2.5 Mbps behind...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Sopock, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Downloads and STUN may both be slow but the solutions are probably different.

STUN is interactive so would require distinct regional servers, perhaps with a traffic director as you suggest, or just configure the appropriate servers depending on where the software is installed. In fact, you can configure nearby 3rd-party STUN servers now.

Downloads must come from 3CX but since they are static, they could be hosted on one server and distributed with a CDN.

4. Sopock

Sopock Member

Idea was that 3CX should not use only 3 static STUN servers. It should first try with matching 3CX domain(3cx.fr)?

Region and Time Zone - Select your country and time zone and click “Next.”

Your hosting server speed is below average.:oops:

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The downloads server speed is being dealt with, its in progress

craigreilly and mcbsys like this.
  6. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

you might use downloads-lb.3cx.com instead of downloads.3cx.com which is currently in evaluation using anycast routing in our networks and will select the best server route for you by it self...
    or you can set the downloads server fix to the US with downloads-us.3cx.com (where by downloads-eu.3cx.com is its counter path). for AU/NZ users the US server also provides much more speed. Give it a shot and let me know which speed you get...

Confident this will take place also inside of the pbx very soon.

7. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Thank you for working on this. I'm testing from Southern California (San Diego). For each test, I opened a new private browsing window in Firefox (to avoid caching). I'll test downloading the 16.2MB Windows client 3CXPhoneforWindows15.msi.

downloads.3cx.com and downloads-us.3cx.com both resolve to 158.69.11.10, which according to http://www.ip2location.com is a server in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
    https://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhoneforWindows15.msi takes 58 seconds, so an average of 279KB/sec.

downloads-lb.3cx.com resolves to 213.32.5.216, an server in Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France.
    https://downloads-lb.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhoneforWindows15.msi takes 57 seconds, average 284KB/sec.

Since the tests are virtually identical, I wondered if the download from France was somehow redirecting to the North American server, so I ran a WireShark while downloading. All packets come from 213.32.5.216.

Hmmm....

8. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

not going into to much detail and whats behind which IP and how the -lb works however you noticed that downloads.3cx.com has more then one IP and to which you connect is made up by your browser? In your test is was just the same as the -us version...

if you like to compare old to new speed for you then test vs. downloads-eu.3cx.com.

However i have a server around 200 miles south of S.D. and i am good off with 25MB/s...

9. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

I only used a quick PING to check the IP before. Checking with NSLOOKUP, it returns 158.69.11.10 and 151.80.125.73, in that order. Maybe I get the first one because I'm in the U.S.? But I thought only -lb was load-balanced?

Okay, using TRACERT, I see that downloads.3cx.com and downloads-lb.3cx.com both route to Quebec, although the last couple hops are a bit different.

https://downloads-eu.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhoneforWindows15.msi takes 170 seconds, about 95 KB/sec. Slower, but still over three times faster than when I started this thread.

I'm testing from a modest 6 Mbps U-verse connection. When I tested before from an Azure server with gigabit connectivity, even the old server was pretty fast, but that doesn't help on-premise installs.

10. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This has been implemented in V15.5 and we will continue to improve on this depending on the needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.