inbound and outbound calls take too long to establish

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ArbuZz, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ArbuZz

i've configured 3cx on local network server. i also use VoIP softphone X-Lite on the client side. when i connect to VoIP provider directly (it is our local VoIP provider - i live in georgia (country, not US state)), with default settings everything goes smoothly - connection is nearly instanteneous. but when i try to connect trough 3cx server, it tooks ages, for both - incoming and outcoming calls to establish, sometimes number is even anounced as unavailable.

i couldn't find any mention of the problem in the manual. what could be a reason? is it resolvable? maybe it needs little tweaking? by now it is just huge problem.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have a server, this server is connected to the internet via a modem?
    Correct so far?

This modem is talking to your VSP via your ISP.

I do not know how this all hangs together in Georgia, but I assume it is like that.

When you use X-lite you hop directly from your pc to the VSP via the server or directly via the network to the modem?

If you can show us how it all is hooked up that would be great.

Your issue, does not sound it is a 3CX related issue, but more a hardware and performance issue (I could be wrong).

To identify if there is an issue with your network do a test of your network and see how the call/traffic is routed. A typical ping for example will have to return with <1ms anything above that might be worth having a look at.

My assumption is that when you go through 3CX it will go from your PC to your Server to the Modem to the ISP to the VSP. You see a few hops there.
    I do not expect any troubles outside your network , you cannot really control that anyway, but it looks like your server is introducing some latency so have a look at that.

Typically things like virus scanners and the like will slow things down a little it can also be that you have a bouncing route for example you go from your PC to the server back to your PC because that one is defined as gateway to your router and therefore to the internet.

To many options but it gives you something to think about.

Let us know how you network config is and what your server is doing for example is it doing dns etc as that is where the problem sits I think.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks for the excellent suggestions henk.

Can you do a few more things - can you use another provider, ideally one from the supported list (there are a few free ones there) to determine if its to do with the VOIP provider or something else? What codec does Xlite use when you use it directly? it could also be down to some negotiation issues.

Can you show us the server status log too? Ideally when it times out or fails...

4. ArbuZz

thank you for you timely response (can't say the same about mine, sorry). problem has solved itself, when i installed 3cx system on another machine. i'm new at the office, so i could not imagine that they use ~700 MHz two Pentium III CPU system as a server (as i know 3cx needs at least 1 GHz). i guess that was the actual reason of the problem. now it is totally solved.

thank you once more.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:lol: I am using dual 933 Pentium III and it works like dream.

Anyway we used to play tricks like that on the new kids. Send them out to the butcher for a pound of RAM.

We stopped doing that because, one came back with half a sheep :).

Well good to see you have it down pad.