Inbound audio quality issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boba1120, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boba1120

Hi all, I'm having a problem with extensions at a remote location. The 3CX server is at a main office and the extensions in question are at a branch office about 10 miles down the road. Both sites are fed by FiOS and connected by a Watchguard branch office VPN setup. The majority of the handsets are Cisco SPA504 or 508.

The problem is intermittent, but seems to affect all extensions at the remote location to some degree. When it occurs, any call in or out results in chopping or cutting out or whatever you wish to call it for the user at the branch office. However, the person on the other end, whether at the main office or external, has no trouble hearing at all.

It's most perplexing, and since it is intermittent, one-way, and there are a lot of components involved, I'm not quite sure how to approach troubleshooting. Any light that anyone can shed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi,

Try to approach troubleshooting the network first. Monitor the bandwidth when this occur. Most probably it appears in a peak period of network activity between those 2 branches. As recommended solutions, you can implement QoS in your network in order to prioritize voice traffic, you can use a low bandwidth codec like G729 to reduce the overload.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. boba1120

Thank you, I wil try out the QoS setup. I see that the main office has that in place. The main office also has the phones isolated on a separate VLAN, using the auto voice VLAN function of the Cisco small business switches. Does the remote location also require a dedicated subnet or VLAN for phones for QoS to work properly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.