Inbound call forwards to multiple external numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by satton1, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satton1

I want to be able to have one inbound call get routed to multiple external numbers simultaneously.

The idea is to set up a Ring Group using"Ring All" ring strategy where each extension in the ring group is just a dummy extension that immediately forwards all calls to an associated external number. I.E., 5 dummy extensions that each have a forwarding rule for outbound calls to go to the specified external number under all conditions. I put these 5 extensions in a ring group with Ring All ring strategy.

So far it just sends the call to the default for no answer. None of the dummy extensions are registered (intentionally) and I have a rule that forwards all calls when not registered to unique external numbers for each extension.

can this work? please help... satton1

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In a word, no.

You will not get multiple external numbers ringing simultaneously. no matter what sort of forwarding or ringgroup settings you use.

3. satton1

is there a reason why this can't happen?

what about a prioritized hunt or having a random extension picked from a list (call queue?) be selected (that forwards to an external number)?

the idea is that i have 5 sales people out in the field with cell phones. the customers are going to call into the PBX line and the PBX should either ring all sales person phones at same time (first answer gets sale) or do a random extension/external number dial.

any ideas on a good solution with 3CX phone system?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A ring group works fine when all extensions are internal. 3CX has complete control of the calls, as soon as one person answers, the other stop ringing.

As soon as you send a call outside the network, control can be lost. What would happen if two people picked up the call at he same time, even if answer supervision were correctly passed back to 3CX there are delays. Sending one call (forwarding) to an outside number is one thing, as the caller hears what is happening and decide to wait or end the call depending on what they receive audibly. With multiple calls, at the same you are taking away the human aspect and expecting 3CX to rely on signaling from a VoIP provider, which might not be entirely reliable.

Besides, call forwarding on extensions in a ring group is ignored and if there is no answer the call will go to where it is specified in the ring group settings. This is because once a call is sent to a ring group that ring group owns the call, not an individual extension.

5. satton1

What about the "Hunt Random Start" Polling Strategy in a Ring Queue? Can this be used to randomly select an extension and have that extension forward All calls to external number?

Also, what does it mean by "User must login to Call Queue to start taking calls"? If I set up dummy extensions, then they will not be registered, so I need to understand what is meant by logging in to the Call Queue and how to do it.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A call Queue is sort of like a ring group with sequential ringing. I say "sort of" as it is used when the members of the queue are located in different locations or perhaps work different hours, maybe they need 10 minutes after finishing a call to write up an order before they are ready to accept another call. A user logs into the queue to tell 3Cx that they are now available to receive calls, they can also make heir set "not ready" to prevent any call from ring temporarily. That way their phone won't ring when they are not there allowing callers to be connected faster to someone that actually is at their desk.

In a ring group and I, believe queues, calls will follow the instructions in the queue or ring-group rather than the forwarding setup on each line. Forwarding on a line works when a call is placed to that one line (number).

If you were a caller trying to reach someone in sales and your call was sent to a queue (or ring-group), you (and hopefully the company you were calling) would want to reach a live person (if possible), not have the call ring the first set, ring four times then go to that persons voice-mail. You would want the call to either move onto the next phone or to continue ringing all sets in the ring-group (depending on how the ring-group was setup) until someone answered or the call timed out and was sent to the final destination.

7. avx

avx

I would like to second the original poster's request. The idea of having sales people out in the field with cell phones is a common one, and a "First Answer wins the call" would be a fair way to divide up calls of this nature.

8. mfm

mfm Active Member

Make sure your outbound rules allow for external number to call out.

1. Create x number of dummy extensions. Make them forward ALL CALLS, ALL HOURS, TO EXTERNAL NUMBER.
    2. Add to ring group.
    3. Test

I Have tested this with the ring all option and it works well. You need to use a VOIP provider as PSTN give early media connect signal not allowing us to send this properly, although it will still work its is something you have to test out, Please remember such implementation are not supported by 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind when sending calls to mobiles, especially if they have voicemail (provided by the mobile provider). If a phone is out of the service area, i.e., no signal, the the call will usually go direct to voicemail and the call is considered answered by the network. This can happen if the nearby cell site is congested or you are in an elevator or basement or the phone is simply switched off.

10. satton1

i had already done exactly what "mfm" describes in his post before posting my original thread and it didn't work.

the inbound call is immediately routed to the "Destination if no answer" option in the Ring Group.

i use a Voip provider and have all the outbound rules configured. i can do everything needed, except get this to work.

if anyone has any ideas, i would greatly appreciate the replies. thanks in advance.

11. mfm

mfm Active Member

there is key element in diagnosing things related to 3CX, logs, logs and more logs. get the entire call flow lets have a look at it.

edit: im 99 % sure your outbound rules are set to only allow extensions to dial out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. satton1

i'll double check the outbound rules. is there a specific rule i can set to make sure it's correct?

13. satton1

my outbound rules have no limitation on extensions. they are simply looking at number of dialed digits, either 7, 10, or 11, and routing them accordingly out the appropriate VOIP Provider.

i added an outbound rule that includes all dummy extensions to route calls out the VOIP provider.

the ring group still immediately send the inbound call directly to the "Destination if no answer" setting of the ring group that is selected from the digital receptionist.

any ideas? i'd really like to get this working...

14. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Well at this point a snippet of some verbose logs would be helpful, and probably the only way forward. As i said i have it working properly at one of our test labs.

15. satton1

In the log below, 800 is Digital Receptionist, 805 is Ring Group with 2 dummy extensions (not registered).
    The Rules for both dummy extensions are configured so that for all conditions, including Phone not registered, the call should be forwarded to External Number. The "Destination if No Answer" is set to return to Digital Receptionist (800), which it does every time.

Kindly place all server code in code and / code tage - MFM
    Code:
    21:06:02.340  [CM503002]: Call(861): Alerting sip:800@127.0.0.1:40600;rinstance=68d71ed9fd7bddd9
    21:06:02.183  [CM503025]: Call(861): Calling Ext:Ext.800@[Dev:sip:800@127.0.0.1:40600;rinstance=68d71ed9fd7bddd9]
    21:06:02.135  [CM503005]: Call(861): [b]Forwarding: Ext:Ext.800[/b]@[Dev:sip:800@127.0.0.1:40600;rinstance=68d71ed9fd7bddd9]
    21:06:02.133  [CM503016]: Call(861): [b]Attempt to reach <sip:805[/b]@127.0.0.1:5060> failed. Reason: Not Registered
    21:06:02.133  [CM503017]: Call(861): [b]Target is not registered: RingAll805:301Ext.301302Ext.302[/b]
    21:06:02.131  [CM503010]: [b]Making route(s) to <sip:805[/b]@127.0.0.1:5060>
    21:06:02.130  [CM505003]: Provider:[VarPhonex] Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [] PBX contact: [sip:2981678@192.168.2.10:5060]
    21:05:45.692  Active calls counted toward license limit: [361,856,857,859,861]
    21:05:36.794  [CM503007]: [b]Call(861): Device joined: sip:800[/b]@127.0.0.1:40600;rinstance=68d71ed9fd7bddd9

16. CaffeinatedTech

I've just installed 3CX Free a couple of days ago, getting ready to make it live. I've got your scenario working fine.

I have two dummy extensions set to forward all calls at all times to external numbers.
    I have a ring group to call all phones including these dummy extensions. Using Ringall strategy.
    My VoIP provider PennyTel, supports multiple simultaneous calls (had to enable it in their console).

When I call that ring group, all phones ring, including both external ones.

Is it possible you need to change the Maximum simultaneous calls parameter in Voip Providers -> Other options section on 3CX? or your provider doesn't support it?

17. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

The logs you sent were not in verbose mode. and incomplete. I need to see a complete call flow.

Go to the "Management Console" > Settings > Advanced > at the bottom select "Verbose Logging" ands restart your system.

18. satton1

see attached file. it does say the 805 Ring Group is "Not Registered", but it shows Registered in System Extension Status. The two dummy extensions in this ring group are Not Registered intentionally with settings to Forward All calls to external numbers.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.