Inbound Caller ID Mask

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by serverwork, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serverwork

On v14-SP2, we have 2x Patton 4114 PSTN Gateways setup with 7 lines coming in.

Toll Free 1 forwards to Line 1 (local).
    Line 1 through Line 6 are a hunt group at provider level.
    Toll Free 2 forwards to Line 7 (local).
    Line 7 is it's own number.

The client would like to have all lines route to the same queue - no problem. The client would also like something to differentiate calls made to Toll Free 1 and Toll Free 2.

My thought was in inbound caller ID mask based on the number called in the TO header. I've looked through 3cx blog posts, YouTube videos and these forums. I've tried many different things, but have yet to achieve the desired results.

Any ideas, or is this even possible?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you were using VoIP trunks, then, yes, it would probably be handled in the same manner as a DID. It that case (VoIP), you would receive the dialled number information along with the originating callers number. With a PSTN gateway, you will only receive the originators Callers ID unless the gateway is capable of adding an identification number onto the SIP invite sent to 3CX upon receipt of a call, on a per trunk basis.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I was on a Patton when I first started on 3cx - and had 50 DID's and 7 digits of the DID were signified in the incoming call information. So, I used *5551212, *5551213, etc.
    I would get with Patton support. They can review the logs and see if the Called # is in there or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

On analogue lines, of the DID type, when used with older analogue PBX's, the last few digits of the destination number were sent from the CO to the PBX. There was no ring current involved, it was simply a seizure of the line, the PBX in many cases returned a "wink" (current reversal) and the digits were sent by DTMF (or dial pulse if required). this could work with a VoIp PBX, but the PSTN lines (DID trunks) would have to terminate on an ATA coming into 3CX, not all that practical these days, but would work in a pinch. Unless you are using an ISDN gateway, or (as I said) VoIP trunks, there really isn't a way to let 3CX know what the originator dialled. The only indication of that, with a PSTN gateway, is what line, the call comes in on, and, in that case, you'd be expected to have set the gateway up to handle multiple trunks, not simply one large trunk group.

So, if you have a particular toll free number, and calls to that number came in on either an individual trunk, or multiple trunks in a trunk group, on their own (as seen by 3CX), then you would know what number had been dialled and the calls could be directed to a specific end point.

There may be a way that the gateway can attach a fixed number to the SIP message (on a per trunk basis), something that 3CX can work with in directing the call, but because it arrives on one trunk group, you already have the ability, within 3CX, to do that. The problem will be when multiple toll free numbers are being directed to a hunt group from your PSTN provider. Any number could come in on any of a number of trunks. In that case you will have the name field, and caller ID, of the originator, to work with. If your provider could insert the dialled number in the name field, then you would have an indication of the number originally dialled, but, I'm not certain that 3CX could work with that. I'm also not certain that a provider offers that service, you'd have to check with them, it would have to be implemented by the company that you subscribe to, for the toll free number service.

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The new Patton FXO Template available in V14 I think may have something that could help you.

First though you would have to download the new Patton FXO Template from within the Management Console even if it says up-to-date.
    After that following the instructions here: http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/patton-smartnode-sn4112/
    Note that step 7 is how to set up DID's exactly as you would have done if this were a VoIP Provider.

Once you have done this, for each DID you can set an "Inbound Rule Name", e.g. the rule for FXO_0 could be L1, FXO_1 could be L2, etc.

The reason why I say this is because be default the Inbound Rule name is appended to the display name when it rings on an extension even if it is coming through a Queue, so for example if you Queue name is "Support" and the call is coming in from FXO_1, on the display of the phone "Support:L2" and then the Caller ID.

6. serverwork

Thanks for the input guys, especially for the big time analog lesson, leejor.

Nick, that's a nice feature on the template and could come in handy. However, it's setup like leejor mentioned: The toll frees both come into the same Hunt Group at the provider level, they just start at different numbers in the Hunt Group. So, I think the only option will be to see if the provider can adjust the name field to reflect the dialed number.

Appreciate you all, as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.