Inbound Caller ID shows "unknown" since 3CX upgrade

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kylep87, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylep87

We upgraded our 3CX software to version 12 a few weeks ago (12/13/13) and also upgraded the firmware in our AAstra 57i phones at that time to make them compatible with 3CX v12. Since then, about 60%+ of inbound calls show up as "unknown" or "0" on the phones and on 3CX. Previously, this was a rare occurance. I estimate this has also increased since the first of the year. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Kyle

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What type of trunks are you using?

What does the 3CX log show for an incoming call, do you see a number?

Does a name/number show when making an internal call?

3. kylep87

I am not sure we have trunks. We use Comcast as our landline provider, no VOIP. I called them first about the issue and they said that there were no known issues on their end.

On the 3CXPhone call history, it shows "unknown" or "0" as displayed on the Aastra phone. If the number did display, it is displayed on 3CXPhone call history.

Name/Number does show up for internal calls.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

This may also be related to the analog gateway in use that is interfacing the Comcast lines into 3CX. You may want to look at the settings to see how many rings the device accepts before answering. It could be that you need to extend this setting by a ring or so in order to provide for enough time for the callerID to be passed. You might also check the device to ensure that the callerID method and country are correct.

5. kylep87

I looked at our analog gateway through 3CX Phone System Management Console. Under "Inbound Parameters" would it be in the "Content of SIP Fields"? I don't see anything for managing the number of rings. I attached a screenshot of the SIP Fields listed. It cut off Contact: Host Part.

I did look at the Server Activity Log and it says many times about the gateway Device Info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched...

Attached Files:

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

the setting will be within the gateway itself and be accessed via the gateway's web interface.

7. kylep87

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to log into the gateway interface and change it from 2 to 4 rings (default). I just tested 3 incoming calls and they all appeared with the caller ID! :D

8. centerburg

Just some additional info for you - a typical ring cycle is 5 seconds (2 on and 3 off). The delay period is an attempt to capture the FSK signal transmitted between the first and second ring (it contains the CID). When set to 2 - this should be sufficient most of the time but differences in timing can make delays. 4 appears to definitely correct your problem but keep in mind that if 3 also works that will cause less of a delay. A setting of 4 means that you are delaying the inbound call about 20 seconds before you even 'hear' the first ring. If you answer the call in 3 rings the calling party has 'heard' 7 - some will not wait that long... ;)

9. kylep87

I am going to switch it to 3. We are still getting the unknown CID problem, which I thought was resolved. I let the company know that sold us 3CX, phones, and the gateway know about they issue and they are going to look into it.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, some CO switches think they send the first ring but don't always end up doing so, or it is so short as to not register at the subs equipment. In theory, 2 rings should capture the CID burst. Using a Cisco SPA-3102 gateway set at 3 seconds (they don't count rings, just the time period after the end of the first ring), works just fine. So in your case, it may be to be an incomplete first ring cycle being sent, or detected. Having to set the gateway delay to 3 or 4 rings adds an excessive delay before the call is passed onto 3CX. There may be another setting in the gateway that would aid in detecting a partial first ring, something you might want to pursue if you can confirm that that is happening at times.

Since you use Comcast (a cable company), am I to assume that your PSTN lines come from an ATA supplied by them, then go into your gateway? If that is the case, you may want to see if they would allow you to go VoIP directly to them bypassing both devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.