Inbound latency to handset.

Discussion in 'Android' started by jlag, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlag

I have managed to get my Motorola Droid Pro running with the 3cx Phone for Android, connected to my 3cx PBX on an internal network, an external network, over WiFi and 3G.

The trouble I am having is the latency to the Droid handset is close to 1000 ms over WiFi, 3G is a bit worse, but not much. Outbound latency is < 200ms which is tollerable considering what it is doing.
    Is the droid a better encoder than a decoder?

Echo cancellation is off and both play and record buffers are set to -1. The "PBX Delivers Audio" setting is off on the trunk and extension setup of the PBX.

The call quality is outstanding however, I wish I could trade some of the quality to reduce the latency :)

Has anybody experianced this problem?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have tried tried different Codecs?

3. jlag

I have, no significant difference.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You have to assume that it is caused by one of two issues, Either the packets are being delayed somewhere, in a device, networks, etc., or there is a delay in the encoding /decoding process (slow device or incorrect/incompatible configuration). The trick is to figure out which one through a process of elimination, which, of course, in many situations, is difficult and time consuming.

Have you tried registering to another VoIP provider or 3CX setup? Have you tried connecting another WiFi (3CX on a second Android device?) phone to your 3CX setup?

5. jlag

I tried 3cx softphone running on the PC and it does not experiance the issue, nor does a Cisco SPA303.

The Droid and the Droid Pro both have inbound latency issues.

I switched to SIPDroid client on the Android devices and inbound latency is now on par with outbound (~200 ms), a dramatic improvement, can have a somewhat normal conversation now.

SIPDroid does not like to register over 3G to the PBX (3CXPhone for Android does this nicely), only likes the LAN, but I can live like this for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I notice on here.. http://www.3cx.com/blog/3cxphone/android/configuring/ that the Droid Pro is not mentioned as being supported, the Droid X says Not supported. There may be an issue with Droid models in general. Perhaps that will be fixed in the next release.

7. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I was speaking to Kevin this week about Droids. Their problem with testing and support overseas is that they cannot plug a sim card into the Verizon 3g phones and so have problems testing and getting the configuration correct.

This problem should go away with the new LTE phones (thunderbolt is launching on Verizon any day) which do use sim cards and should be compatible overseas too.

Though i am waiting on the Motorola Bionic with dual core processor due out in June/July.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jlag

This issue is on an internal network, can be tested using WIFI, no SIMM card or mobil network needed.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You generally have to have a SIM in a phone to access any services. Some unlocked phones might behave differently. Many North American models (CDMA) do not use a SIM at all.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You have to hope that the phone makes use of the frequencies used in Europe and that, besides, perhaps having GSM, it uses a (higher speed) data technology that is being offered currently. I believe that LTE is on trial in some Scandinavian counties, if I'm not mistaken. It is going to be harder to find a truly "universal" phone until the dust settles, in the next few years. Even in North America, T-Mobile has decided to go with 1700 Mhz unlike most of the competition.

Perhaps in 5 or 6 years, when everybody has switched to LTE, or maybe that is still too soon, then it will just be a matter of having a handset that deals with all of the frequencies used worldwide. As Analogue TV frequencies (and other bands) become available for auction to fill the increasing demand for wireless services, I wonder if we will ever get a truly universal mobile phone, at least in our lifetime.

11. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I understood LTE to be a worldwide "standard" (I use the term loosely). It had input from all the major world carriers including Vodafone (probably one of the largest world wide and who used to own part of verizon wireless - though Verizon were buying them out). So yes I think the intention is to have a worldwide standard system and hopefully along the same frequencies.

I know Verizon are expecting 5 - 12Mbps speeds on their LTE initially and get faster over the years. They also intend to allow large data plans (I am hearing standard plans of 200Gb per month by the end of 2014) to totally replace DSL and such.

We shall see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I know, this has gone WAY off the original topic.

LTE may be LTE everywhere , just as GSM is GSM everywhere, but, until quad band phones came out, there was the chance that your GSM phone might not operate outside your country/provider/continent. We can only hope that in the future, manufacturers will incorporate all of the frequencies in all of the sets right off the bat, which may still be wishful thinking as new bands may be added in the future. You know that providers will try to keep costs down , and if they can acquire a "cheaper" handset that only operates on the frequency that they offer service on, then that is the handset that they will offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.