Inbound Routing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joebocop, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebocop

Hello,

We have 3cx Phone System deployed with a Patton 16-port FXO PSTN gateway.

Each of the company's 100 staff members has their own DID phone number with the telco. That block of 100 numbers routes over the "next available" FXO slot during an inbound call.

In order to have each of these DIDs automatically forwarded to their proper "interior" extension, I need to manually create 100 inbound rules for each of the 16 FXO ports, for a total of 1600 inbound rules, correct?

Is there a faster way of setting up this configuration?

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

On the inbound rule, you should be able to select the PORT for each DID... which would be 1 in bound port- the Patton.
    Total of 1 rule per DID.

(Unless you have 16 different registration for the Patton???)

(Oops - I missed this was Analog... wrong direction)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. joebocop

Thanks for the reply.

I select the Patton device, but it has 16-ports "beneath it". Those ports are automatically selected when I select the Patton device, so I essentially only have to repeat the process 100 times rather than 1600 times, which is a major bonus. Just wondering if the resultant 1600-deep inbound ruleset is what I should be expecting to manage going forward.

Thanks again.

4. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

Is it possible to do DID routing over a FXO line?
    I always thought a analog FXO line did not have inbound DID routing abilities? So each analog line would have only 1 destination ability.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I think the Roebocop is referring to a digital gateway as he has DID's.

6. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

I would think digital as well when talking about DIDs but 16 ports would be a odd number if your talking PRI channels....
    Could you clarify which Patton gateway you are using?

7. jpillow

PRI is just how its handed off you can get as many or as few PRI trunks as needed, i'd assume its an integrated cirucit.

@Joebocop can you verify?

8. joebocop

Thanks for the help, guys. Patton gateway is analog, SN4316/JO/UI.

With the telco, we have a multi-line hunt group consisting of 16 analog lines. When an "outsider" uses the PSTN to dial one of the 100 phone numbers associated with our hunt group, that call is sent into the Patton device using the first available analog MLH member. We need, therefore, 100 rules for each of the possible 16 lines on which an inbound call might be placed, yeah?

The telco sends along the DID number, which the Patton device passes along to 3CX, which is then used in determining the applicable inbound rule. Each unique DID connects to a specific digital receptionist (of which there are 100; one for each extension), which auto-forwards to the appropriate extension.

The system works fine, I just thought it unwieldy to have 1600 inbound rules and 100 digital receptionists in my system, and wondered if I was going about this the wrong way. New to 3CX.

9. craigreilly

Don't understand why the dids don't just point to the extension... Instead of a digital receptionist which forwards to the extension?

10. joebocop

I should have explained that better. The digital receptionist satisfies the requirement that the caller be informed of an upcoming change to another system which affects callers. I didn't know how else to "play the message" and then auto-forward the caller to their desired extension.
    Does that make any sense?

11. craigreilly

Lol...yes...
    Thanks... Don't have much experience with the gateways... Just a 4940 for a PRI.
    Good luck.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

DID trunks don't really work using a PSTN gateway. With an analogue PBX, a DID call will seize one of several trunks to the PBX, then DTMF or dialpulse a predetermined number of digits (usually 3 or 4), the PBX then connects that call. This usually happens after a "wink", or momentary current reversal. With VoIP, it is similar but all using SIP messages.

Using an analogue gateway will limit you to using the automated attendant. If it is able to answer quickly enough to capture the DTMF sent by the provider,( if that is how they are doing it), then it may work for you without any inbound rules.

This is all being said without being clear on your set-up, so I may very well be off-base.

13. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi Joe

What you can also do is add your DIDs for one port, then from the management console export them to a CSV file. Change the port in the CSV file, and import them back in again. Repeat the procedure as necessary. Please let me know if you require any more help on the matter

Best Regards

14. jpillow

Is there any reason why you arent using SIP, or a PRI if you need DIDs?

15. joebocop

My apologies for not replying sooner, and many thanks for the helpful replies, as ever.

It turned out that the technology we were being presented by the telco was actually "Analog DiD", so the Patton device (SN4316) was not able to communicate with the telco anyway!

As to why we wouldn't be using SIP, PRI, etc, we are bound by what is offered to us by the single operating telephone company in our area. We are a remote location with no option for PRI, etc, sadly. We are integrating SIP into the mix now, but our internet connections are not sufficiently reliable or performant to justify a leap from the PSTN completely.

Again, my thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.