Incoming call not ringing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jendter, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jendter

Hi All,
    I have a very bizarre issue on a new installation.
    3cx version = 15.5.6354.2 running on Debian v9.2 (virtualized on VMWare)
    Phones Fanvil X4G with firmware 2.3.1.4361.

We just ported our phone numbers from Spectrum Internet to Flowroute. Calls work perfectly when you call the phone number from any telco other than Spectrum. Our current incoming call route goes to a ring group with 4 extensions. Calls are ringing as expected.

When an outside caller (that is in our local area - like the next door neighbor) calls using a Spectrum Internet phone line, I can see the call hit the 3cx server and ring the extension. The issue is that the phones in the ring group do not ring. When the ringing times out, the call is forwarded to the voicemail extension for the ring group and the caller is able to leave a message.

I tried several test configs routing calls directly to an extension and voicemail for an extension. Anytime the call is routed to the ring group or an extension, the call hits the server but does not ring at the extension.

Again, this only happens when a caller calls from a Spectrum telephone that is in our local calling area. All other calls from cell phones or out of the area work perfectly. Spectrum say its an issue with our server. Any ideas?

Thank You,
    John

2. 12494

12494 Member

You ported your phone number away from Spectrum but they still have it in their internal routing tables. If a Spectrum customer calls you it only hits Spectrum tables which sends call to a dead end. Call never gets to Flowroute. If a non-Spectrum customer calls you it doesn't hit Spectrum's 'stale' tables and gets correctly routed to Flowroute.
    Get someone at a higher pay grade at Spectrum.
    Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jendter

This is exactly what I thought was the issue. But, the call does get routed to Flowroute, and I see it come up on the active calls screen. The issue is that no phones ring. If I set the call route to go straight to voicemail, the VM answers the incoming call. It's just when the route is set to go to an extension (any extension or ring group) the phones don't ring.

4. 12494

12494 Member

I didn't realize it was getting to Flowroute.
    I would check that you have the DID specified in both the SIP Trunk settings and the Inbound Rules next.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would compare the 3CX Activity Logs for a call that works, and one that doesn't, paying particular attention to the initial INVITE. If that doesn't show something obvious, then you may have to resort to Wireshark. Something must be different in the INVITE for this to be happening, as call routing within 3CX would seem to be unaffected.

6. Brian Cross

Brian Cross New Member

Dumb question but the phones are not set to DND are they?

7. Maccoitir

We have the same issue. Customer complains that phone does not ring but call goes straight to next ring group. We are on the latest version of 3cx and latest supported firmware on the fanvil x4.
    I have also witnessed the behavour once but i cannot replicate on demand it apears to be random.
    Here is what we experience... an external call hits the first of two ring groups. There is one x4 fanvil in the first group (receptionist phone). The handset makes a single dull clicking sound and a missed call apears on the handset. But almost immediately the call goes to the second ring group.

We swapped the x4 for an x6 a few days ago and so far the issue has not been reported since.
    I think it may be an fanvil x4 specific issue but cant be sure.

As for DND been on. I can confirm that is was not on the phone at the time. However we are having other issues with DND not syncing on fanvil and 3cx. The status on the 3cx says available but phone saying DND active. After enabling disabling the DND again it syncs up again.... but that for another post...

#7 Maccoitir, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Maccoitir, your issue sounds completely different from the issue that jendter is having. He is not getting ringing on calls from a certain origination (provider), whereas you have calls that are bypassing certain sets (probably because of their status). You also need to check the 3CX Activity Log for one of the calls to see what status 3CX sees for the sets not ringing. From the description, your issue may be a set configuration, or option, problem.

9. jendter

I did a packet captured a non-ringing call and ringing call. On the non-ringiing call I see the INVITE go to all the phones in the ring group. But then, all the phone respond with a BAD REQUEST packet. I am thinking it's the way that Charter Spectrum is formatting the caller ID. Attached are two screen shots of INVITE and BAD REQUEST headers. Notice the comma between the last and first name. Could this be the issue? 5.15 is the 3CX server and 5.89 is the Fanvil X4G phone. If this is the issue, what do I need to change on the INVITE to get the phone to ring?

Invite.PNG
    BadRequest.PNG

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Commas in the caller name, from various providers, have been known to cause issues in the past, with certain hardware. (see attached link) And a quick search on the net confirms that they do can issues.

Both Invites you provided look to have the same caller name, with a comma. Are you saying that call that works, that you didn't post, doesn't show a comma after BROOKS ?

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/parse-exception-thrown-on-cid-name-with-spa3102.19467/

Wondering why the space, after the comma, is shown a "%20", rather than an actual space, in the Invite?

#10 leejor, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. jendter

I didn't post the capture from the call that works, but here it is. The first pic is the Invite and the second is the response of Trying. This is a call from when I call inbound from my cell phone on the ATT network. The call rings all phones normally.

Invite-working.PNG

TRYING.PNG

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK, well it looks as if spaces are sent as %20 in both cases. I assume that you have tested this enough to confirm that any name, that contains a comma, fails.

What happens if you create a system phonebook entry for a "test" number, that currently fails, and put a new name in , one that will replace the one from the provider, the one with a comma?

If it still fails because the original name contains a comma, then 3CX may have to get involved to determine why that is affecting calls. I don't recall seeing commas used in any call names that I've received, and there may be a reason for that, such as...it is know to cause issues.

13. jendter

I was able to correct the issue by changing the Caller Number/Name Field Mapping in the SIP trunk configuration. When I setup the Flowroute SIP trunk, I used the default settings for the 3CX Flowroute SIP trunk. I changed the settings to the 3CX generic SIP trunk field mappings and calls are now ringing and the correct caller ID phone number and name are displaying at the phone. Here are non-working and working Name Field Mappings from the SIP trunk configuration.

Not Working Config
    NotWorkingTrunk.PNG

Working Config WorkingTrunk.PNG

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out for you. Last night I began to wonder if it was the set itself that may be "ignoring" the call. Perhaps firmware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.