Incoming calls not disconnecting

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by acarpenter, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acarpenter

Hi,

We have been running an asterisk Pbx for about the past 4 years and we seem to be having more and more problems with it, so we think it's time to move on. Fortunately our requirements are fairly simple, and I've installed the demo and have it working to some extent.

Now one problem I have is with calls not disconnecting. We use voipfone who "host" our landline numbers, I've successfully managed to get 3cx logged into our sip account with everything registered and happy.

Now, I have a menu which directs the call to an incoming queue which allows us a little bit of screening. What I'm seeing is that if I ring in, I get into the menu fine. If I hang up the call, I can see that the call remains in a "connected" state for at least 60 seconds, even though i have terminated the call. The same happens if we answer the call and then it's terminated, it stil shows as being connected.

Is there some setting somewhere that I'm missing? How do I get 3cx to drop the call as soon as the other end ends the call?

Other than that, I think it's going to do everything that we want, so I'd like to switch over as soon as possible!

Thanks

Adrian

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If a call into 3CX goes into a queue and is waiting, or is put on hold, then 3CX relies on the "other end" to initiate a disconnect. So, with these types of calls there has to be a disconnect sent from your VoIP provider or the call will stay up. Check with your provider, to see how long they wait after the calling party hangs up, before they send the disconnect message. If you feel that there is an excessive delay, and you can use a programme like Wireshark to confirm, you can then go back to them and ask why it takes so long from when the party hangs up and when a disconnect message is sent.

3. acarpenter

Hi,

Thanks. I just ran wireshark on the machine that I installed 3cx on, and when I call the box I see the following messages coming from voipfone to the 3cx software.

SIP REQUEST: INVITE
    SIP REQUEST: ACK

A whole load of RTP packets and then when I terminate the incoming call voipfone send a number of these:

SIP REQUEST: BYE

But the call still remains connected.

Any other ideas, to my "uneducated" eyes it looks like voipfone are sending the disconnect message.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3CX should acknowledge that with a SIP 200 OK message and drop the call. That is the way it should work.

There are a few options in the trunk group settings of 3CX, you may want to see if changing any of those has any affect. Normally there should not be an issue but depending on how you set up the trunk an option may have been set incorrectly. Someone else on the forum may also have seen this sort of behaviour. At least you have seemed to prove that it is not a problem with you provider.

5. acarpenter

Humn - I don't see this. I see voipfone send the BYE request, but I never see a "200 OK" response from the 3cx server, infact, it just keeps on spewing out RTP packets.

I have a packet capture of this in action.

I wonder if it's anything to do with our IP setup? The 3cx machine has a static public IP, but internally local IP, a 1:1 NAT mapping in our firewall takes care of mapping internal/external IP's.

I just looked, the last call that came in took about 5 minutes to disconnect after the call was ended.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Does the 3CX firewall test pass with no problems?

You said that you ran Wireshark on the PC running 3CX, right? If you saw the Bye there, then 3CX should be seeing it.

That is the usual set-up. Have you tried disabling STUN on 3CX? That can sometimes introduce issues when dealing with some providers.

How did you set up the trunk, the generic settings or a template?

7. acarpenter

Yes, that passed without problems.

Yes, on the same machine. This is why I thought that the IP might be an issue, maybe 3cx rejecting it as the local ip is different to the public IP (maybe thinking it was spoofed or something).

STUN is disabled as I couldn't get 3cx to accept incoming calls until I disabled it and manually told it what the public IP was.

I just used the generic SIP template and put in our SIP account details.

Adrian

8. acarpenter

Any other ideas why this may be happening or how I may be able to solve it?

I'm now stuck and about to go hunting for another PBX solution, I can't recommend that we buy a license of 3cx when it seems to ignore the BYE message that our VoIP provider is sending. In all other respects, it seems to do what we want!

Adrian

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So the PC/server running 3CX has a fixed local IP and all of the necessary ports are forwarded, to that IP, in the router?

Have you tried deleting the trunks and starting over?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.