incoming calls on virtual number (DID)

Discussion in 'iOS' started by newnomad, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newnomad

Is this supported?
    Can the app be set to only use carrier dataconnection at all times, not wifi (while other apps can still use wifi if available). This is needed because when the app registers my DID at different hotspots(that have sip clients with my did provider) each time, my DID provider will randomly connect to those networks, so in order to be retrievable the whole time, I need to use only one network, hence 3g and not wifi.
    Or is there another solution for this (I am in europe): landline number ringing my iphone.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I think Apple does what it will and if Wi-Fi is on and working it will fallback to it as primary data connection.
    iOS has code for developers to detect live WiFi and Data Connections - but I do not think it can specify which one to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

correct, in the code we can see that apple list all interfaces,
    loopback (allways)
    3g (when present)
    wifi (when connected).

but we have no access to limit it to one connection and only can request for active connection.
    So apple tells us whe to use or not. we could disallow the use of 3g, but not the usage of Wifi...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. corinne83

Hi, i've just posted a question but have just come across this feed, so it sounds like one of you may be able to help me out as i am clueless! Please can you have a read of my question below and see if you can help me at all? Thanks!

Hi all, I am a complete novice when it comes to all this and need some help please. I am setting up a new business and need a landline number. I am going to have to buy a virtual geographical number and have decided on Net-Telco as they have the best deal. The problem is i am trying to find a software which will enable me to forward this virtual number to VoIP so i don't have to pay a call charge for every incoming call as i can't afford it right now. I also need to answer the calls on my iphone. Will this software allow me to do this?
    Net-Telco says this on there website "you will have a free Solo SIP account from Net-Telco you can receive calls from your Net-Telco number for free and make calls at our very low call rates. Our Solo account is a basic free account that allows you to make and receive calls through Net-Telco using a compatible SIP phone."
    By using this software will i be able to divert my calls to this software and answer them for free or have i got completely the wrong end of the stick for the use of this software?
    Appreciate anyone's help, as i am going round and round in circles and have no technical knowledge.
    Thanks, Corinne

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds that, like most VoIP providers, you register a SIP device/softphone/etc. , to them, and then make and receive calls. Any call "forwarding" would be done by a device (PBX?) at your end, or using feature codes provided by Net-Telco, if they allow that.

They should give you a user name/number, password, and SIP server address to register to. There may be some additional information as well. You would put this into the 3CX softphone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.