Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

incoming calls silent 1 out of 10 times, read & tried a lot

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DeWild1, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeWild1

Hi, my callers and my own test were getting about 50% "dead air" when we called the lines. It would answer and not do or say anything.. (I am using a digital receptionist)
    Its not a firewall nor VOIP provider issue because I am using a Windows 2003 as my 3cs serer with Routing and remote access and a direct IP on the internet with basic firewall on the same box, with all the correct ports open, (no middle man - other firewall). This set up is both notably faster than any other firewall I have EVER tested and secure, (6 or 7 years, not one problem, many servers)
    And I am using nexvortex and they are very good quality..
    on top of that, all my tests were from inside of the network, thus bypassing the firewall and nexvortex VOIP provider, (dialing the digital receptionist directly).

The things I have tried.
    "Allow Keep Alives", on -then off, (best is off for me.. By turning off, I now get only 1 out of 10 calls that go directly to "dead air")
    I have "Supports Replace" off
    "PBX delivers Audio" off
    "Supports Re-Invites" off
    I have it set to "require registration for" to "do not require" (not sure what that does, but it sounded less restrictive. LOL)

Please do not respond with an insulting.. "Buy the commercial version and buy support"
    I truly think this is unwise for your sales.
    Why would I buy it if it does not work "out of the box"?
    On the other hand, I would love to get into this market. I have hundreds of business clients and many have asked about VOIP. I dred and hate Linux (just an anti geek stand, nothing to do with what can run for years without problems.. Kind a like my toaster.. It has been making toast for years.. No problems.. But then again, it only makes TOAST.. LOL) So, I like your product, look forward to making money setting it up, so my advice is just from what I have seen on this forumhttp://www.3cx.com/forums/voicemail-cutting-out-after-1-second-6381.html?view-post=31629#p31629.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DeWild1

some logs

Thank you SO much for helping.. I am looking forward to this working as it should..

BTW, for all the people with loud offices, a BT 100M USB device and a http://www.JAWBONE.com headset works best. Sounds like you are in a sound proof office and you have NO wires! (battery only last a few hours, but its worth it!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. William400

William400 Well-Known Member

HI

The logs you paste do not appear to be a Nexvortex related call. Are we correct in assuming that this is a call from an external extension to an internal one?

The 'privatehomeip' might be the indicate at this stage. Are you sure that the remote phone has STUN enabled?

Can you provide a capture for such a call. It will allow us to review signaling and see where the issue resides.

4. DeWild1

Sorry for the late reply. I was sick.

The logs are edited by me to hide my IP. I did this because, in therory, (I have not tried), but using the default ext and password, someone could guess my ext and default password and use my phone system for free calls.
    "Private" is my server IP or Domain.
    "Privatehome" is just my IP from home.

I have tested the 1 out of 10 from inside the office, and from dialing the main numbers via a cell phone.
    It is not always 1 out of 10.
    If you want you can try, 888-677-7777
    Its on autoattendant so you will just get my wife saying, "Stop! Don't hang up........"

5. DeWild1

Oh, and the reason I did not give you logs from my tests using Netvortex is because i wanted you all to understand that it is not Provider related.. Using my Softphone From Home OR inside of the Office, and dialing the digital receptionist (Virtual ext 11), should help narrow the issue down to 3CX.
    I am running it on a sigle CPU PIIII 1.2ghz, 4 gigs of ram, 2 SCSI 36gig 10K on RAID 1, Windows 2003, 1U.
    It seems plenty fast and its only doing your software and light DNS stuff.

6. DeWild1

Thank you for posting, I was about to redo the server!
    Literally..
    The last time I did an update, 7x to 7x, (I do not remember from what version but it was all 7), it uninstalled fine and then would not reinstall.
    On the server before that, I went from a Workgroup to a Domain and 3cx stopped working. (local user issue I am sure).. But I uninstalled (Or tried but failed to uninstall, do not remember, it was a long night), but I even tried deleting all the services in reg, all folders n files, and anything in IIS.. But no matter what, reinstall failed.
    On the server before that, it was 6, moved to 7, did update, reinstall failed.

So, I figured that if I tried to unsinstall this one, (my second to last server), I would not be able to reinstall.. So, I was planning on formatting the fning thing, use MS back up to back it up, then install 3cx and set up just one fake line extension type of test and see if it still happened, and then go from there.

This way, if I found the bug while everything was fresh and un molested, I could try to uninstall and reinstall with my fully set up 3cx back up and if that would not work, I could use the MS back up to save me a few hours of formatting and installing windows fresh then do the 3cx install and use the 3cx back up..
    AND THEN sit around and cry and wait for them to fix it..
    :shock: :roll: :cry: :lol:

The 3cx team can PM me and I will give them remote desktop to all my servers if they need to..

7. DeWild1

Hey, simplesip, nickybrg from 3cx is a gOD and went through my servers and made it so I can run 3cx from a more powerful one.

This type of support has made me feel very confident in becoming a resaler. Their business model will be very successful. I was about to give up and do what my Linux friends kept telling me. :cry: :oops: :roll: :shock:

He installed 3cx on one of the more powerful servers and then I restored it from a fresh backup of my live one.
    The duel CPU server does a fine job and now I can call my main digital receptionist 20-50 times and never get the blank answer ("dead air" pick up).. So this small bug has a major influence from hardware.
    The other server was 1 CPU and 2 gigs of ram.
    The other server I had to reboot 2 or 3 times a day other wise EVERY call would be dead air.. The more powerful server it is on now has been on all day and it still works like a charm.

One more thing I found out is the version 7 of the VOIP client would cause most of the "dead air" when I dialed. I was trying it a few min ago and got a dead air answer and then I tried the beta phone http://www.3cx.com/forums/new-3cx-softphone-beta-with-integrated-tunnel-8563.html and had no problem with the mre powerful server. The weaker server still had 1-2 blank calls out of ten with the beta version of the softphone.

8. DeWild1

simplesip, Exchange 2007? I installed it but I have never set it up or did anything with it and it is also a Domain controller. BDC non catalog.

I too noticed a big change in how long it took to open up the console from 6-7. However, on the other server, not running Exchange and its not a domain controller, it opens about 90% faster.

To be honest, MS has been accused of not working well with competitors!
    Just think, have you ever seen the MS IPX protocol work well? :mrgreen: :shock: Ohh, ya, a conspiracy theory!

I am just playing but it seems to be the common denominator.

Are you doing 32bit or 64?

9. DeWild1

This is sad, and untrue.

First of all, if i wanted a stand alone box, that only did ONE thing, I would have become a Linux geek.
    I do NOT want a toaster that just makes toast.
    I want what windows can and does deliver; multitasking..... :x

Secondly, its not true, I set up a NEW server, 3.2 GHz, 2 gigs of ram, duel core, nothing else on it, and I still get the audio cut out if I open up the task manager or do anything that takes up CPUtime or just randomly.. But ita always "in sync" with he CPU spike, even though its just 3 or 4%.. (should be NOTHIG.. I make some apps that take up 22% for a few seconds, 3-4% when the server is not doing anything or even responcible for anything should not make the audio hicup :roll: ).
    in other words, if you look at the CPU and listen to a long IVR, (some of mine are 8 minutes) as soon as you hear a partial word or some other interruption or silence, look at the CPU and you will see a little spike. Yes, I recorded in the right format, yes, i have tried many servers, yes, this is costing my business clients..
    And NO, it has nothing to do with my connection.. At first I thought it was, but now the new server I set up is on a FIBER connection, 10 meg upload, 20 meg download, right on the fiber backbone. Before i was using 2 adsl lines, then i did all kinds of things because I thought that was the problem...
    Something is degrading the performance of 3CX so that when you reboot, it works fine for a time.. (not perfect, but the 1 out of 10 going to dead air (on some of my test servers) would not be such an issue and the random partial words being cut off or choppy audio on ALL of my servers, would not be sooooo bad.. key word ALL of my servers)
    The staff here is great, they helped my so I could install 3CX on the other servers, but the S&%^% rolls down hill.. here or some emails from my clients.
    Original email,
    The recorded files are very hi quality with no background noise and if you listen to the raw files, they are very clear.

seriously, I love the staff here, smart, funny, real. The software, is amazing, but I am getting fusterated and I am tempted to cheat, :oops: , even though i have spent literally days setting up and learning your software.

10. DeWild1

I don't know, but I have opinions about that... :evil: :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: Paying for support for a product that is not working right, is not something that is ethically right. Hell, if it was user error, hell yes i would pay for it.. But 5 servers...... :roll: now on 6th, new super computer, $4,000 later. :oops:

I do know that on the new server, 3.2GHz, duel core, its 99% better, but the other servers had a max spike of 10% every now and then and the load on them is noting compaired to loads I have put on other servers.. (Exchange server, routing and remote access (Server was firewall and router), web host for over 30 web sites, aspx web sites (heavy drain), AND streaming LIVE video to http://www.Justin.tv (30-60% CPU drain just for that), all on a dule 500MHz PIII with 1 gig of ram and software RAID (software raid even sucks away more CPU time).. I tested 3CX 6 on that system and it was fine..
    That server has been working for almost 10 years now, its always at 30-50% CPU and I have only replaced hard drives and fans..

If you want me to load 7 on that and test, I will, but I am sure the results can be predicted..

On the new server, about every minute or two, a small hicup will occor where a word is not understandable... 888-677-7777 dial 2, then 7, then 1 and 1 and 1 if you got extra time. :p This will not be as an official test as using the VOIP softphone and dialing the Digital receptionist directly, (thus bypassing the VOIP provider), but my VOIP provider is good and you should get the same results.

I have a hi quality, (not PCM 8k 16bit, like 3cx recommends), on hold mp3 file.. If you want to hear it really mess up, that will do it.. Even on the new server.. I do not care about that though.. its just on hold, not the important words..

My only gripe now is having a dedicated server, with that kind of power,,,,,,,, should not be.. It just should NOT be the only answer..
    Astrik geeks are boasting PIII 600MHz, 512 ram..

BTW, I gave some of the 3cx team access to my servers. So they can test with my old servers any time they want. I am sure they have some normal PIII or PIIII servers that can play with, but they are welcome to use mine. I think 3CX has the most potential of them all.

11. DeWild1

I upgraded to their new version a few weeks ago and the problems have went away.

Good job team! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.