Incoming cell phone calls interrupt 3cx calls

Discussion in 'iOS' started by PalestineCold, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PalestineCold

When an incoming cell phone call comes in during while I am talking to someone using the 3cx app, the 3cx call is immediately put on hold as soon the the cell phone call rings. Then when I hang up, and hit resume on the 3cx call, no audio is transmitted. I need a way to either ignore the cell call or tell the person I am currently talking to to hold. At the very least, is there a way to continue my 3cx conversation?

2. kevin

kevin Member

@PalestineCold

A few questions:

What version of the 3CX Phone are you using?
    iOS or Android?
    What version of iOS or Android?
    What model of smartphone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PalestineCold

3cx 11 mini edition, fully updated. We are using ios 6.1.2 and the problem occurs on both an iphone 4 and iphone 5. I can test it on a 4s later this afternoon if that helps. For now we are sending all calls to the mobile number as a work around, but hopefully that is just temporary.

4. PalestineCold

We are also using the latest version of the 3cx phone for 3cx phone systems available on the iphone. This also appears to be a problem on the iphone 4s

5. kevin

kevin Member

@PalestineCold

This is almost certainly going to be related to NAT Traversal issues on the WAN-to-LAN device which is between your 3CX Phone System machine and the Internet. Please review the articles and videos that talk about NAT Traversal, Router and Firewall Configuration, Remote Extensions, Firewall Checker, and related topics. It may be necessary in the end to use a WAN-to-LAN device that plays better with VoIP.

If you have a support package, you may also open a support ticket for the 3CX Support department to get a little more deeply involved in this case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PalestineCold

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the problem. 3cx calls work fine with the 3cx phone for 3cx phone system app. I can make and receive calls to internal extensions and external numbers without a problem. The issue is how 3cx phone for 3cx phone systems handles the case of when I receive a normal cell phone call while I am using the 3cx app to make or receive a 3cx call. My customer is put on hold mid sentence without warning when the cell phone call rings the first time. The inability to continue the call may be a NAT issue, but we have no problem continuing calls placed on hold at any other time. Also, when I take the call off hold after ending my cell phone call, the on hold music quits playing, but there is still no audio received or transmitted from either device. I will review the articles you mentioned to try and solve that problem, but the biggest issue is that my customers get unexpectedly put on hold in the first place. If I am on my cell phone making a normal call and another cell phone call comes in, I am alerted that a call is coming in and have the option to answer it or ignore it and keep talking to the original party without the original party knowing I am receiving another call. If possible, the 3cx app should handle the case of incoming cell calls during a 3cx call in a similar fashion.Were you able to reproduce this problem of 3cx calls being unexpectedly interrupted?

7. PalestineCold

I suppose it is also worth noting that we have tested this by using an internal extension to call an iphone connected to the local wireless network and the results are the same as if a customer had called from an external number. I am no networking expert, but that would should rule out the possibility of it being an issue with the wan-to-lan device, since in my test case all the traffic was lan-to-lan. Our system passes all the firewall checks and I am double checking everything and rewatching and rereading the video and articles you suggested.

8. kevin

kevin Member

@PalestineCold

If your test involved a LAN extension and the iphone is on the same LAN, that would indeed rule out NAT issues. We will attempt to replicate this in house.

9. PalestineCold

It was a LAN extension and an iphone on the same LAN. Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

10. PalestineCold

Also, I am using Verizon as my cell provider which is a CDMA network. I'm not sure if that is relevant to you replicating the problem

11. PalestineCold

have you had any luck replicating this issue? I would be happy to provide any additional information unnecessary to help you understand and correct the problem that I am having.

12. PalestineCold

The old 3cx phone app for ios has a similar bug where calls are put on hold without warning if you receive a cell call, but after the cell call has ended, it automatically resumes the 3cx call and audio does work

13. kevin

kevin Member

@PalestineCold

The issue that "calls are put on hold without warning if you receive a cell call" is NOT a bug, but is a limitation imposed by Apple's iOS, whereby any other app is pushed into the background when an inbound cell call is received. All apps on iOS are subordinate to this behaviour, and 3CX Phone is therefore no exception to this issue.

The issue with "one way or no audio after resuming a forced-backgrounded call following an incoming GSM call" we have replicated, and the Testing and Development Team have confirmed to me that the next release of 3CX Phone for iPhone will contain a fix for this.

Thank you for reporting this.

14. PalestineCold

Thank you for clearing that up for me

15. fhiadmin

A possible work around for the issue of other apps being put on hold (happens with Viber as well) is to possible turn off the cell portion by using a dnd setting or turning off the cellular provider if you only want calls to come in to 3cx during business hours.

16. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

It makes sense that this happens on Verizon since they do not allow DATA and CELL to happen simutaneously.
    The cell call comes in and the DATA Call gets put on hold (the person on the other end claims to hear the music) - but when I am done with the cell call, and return to the 3cx Phone app and I take the call off hold - there is nothing. The person on the other end is actually still on HOLD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.