Incomming Ring

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nthomthom, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nthomthom

Hello. Phone extensions are all registered but incoming calls will not ring on any of the phones. Outgoing calls are made fine.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You haven't provided a lot of information...What type of outside service do you use? VoIP, PSTN Gateway, ISDN Gateway?

What make/model?

How are the incoming calls directed? Ring Group, Automated receptionist?

Have you looked over the 3CX log just after an incoming call? that would show you what 3CX is trying to do with the call or if it is even seeing it.

3. nthomthom

Sorry I posted a second post but it didn't post correctly. Im using VoIP phones. I'm using a linksys spa941 I'm also using a sip phone app on the iPhone. All extension are remotely. The 3cx server is not on the same LAN as the phones. I believe this is a firewall / router issue. I have replaced my linksys router with a new linksys x2000 modem/router. I have made sure that all the settings matched my old linksys router but still incoming calls are blocked. This was confirmed as i configured my old router modem setup and the phones all rang when Incomming calls come in. I'm am thinking that the new router is blocking Incomming ports responsible for communicated with the phones that Incomming calls are trying to go through. Does anyone know what ports I should open up on the LAN that the phones are on?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Generally, if you only have a set or two at one location, you should not have to touch the port settings on the router. That, of course, depends on a lot of variables.

If you are running a number of sets, at one remote location, you should really consider running the 3CX Proxy manager on a PC at that location. It can solve a lot of issues.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/sip-proxy-manager/

If you are not using it, you need to be sure that each set, at the same location (behind the same router) , is using a unique port number, that 3CX will use to contact the set. (they can't all use port 5060, which is the usual default)

5. nthomthom

As of now I only have two sets of phone. Yes, generally you do not have to have any special config for the router at the remote location. However, this new router I purchased is not allowing incoming calls to go through on my phones. I have upgraded the firmware on the router but still had no success.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What make/model of router are you using? Perhaps someone here is familiar with it and can assist in setting up any options that are required.

7. nthomthom

I am using a linksys E2500 router. When I uplug the phones and they restart they are able to receive incoming calls (they ring) but this only happens for a little while (maybe 10 minutes) and then they stop being able to receive calls. It seems like its not making a consistent connection with the pbx server. On the server after an incoming call its says that it cannot complete the call to the extension "cause: 408 timeout"

I suppose that it would fix itself in an hour because the SIP phones register every 3600 seconds.

8. albertc

On the Linksys spa941. Try changing the "Register Expires:" to 900 or a little less. As leejor said, you should not have to forward any ports at all where you have your phones. Also, have you run a firewall checker on the 3cx server? Make sure all tests passed without any translation. If your firewall where the 3CX server is is doing port translations, the issues may become random and you may think everything is fine on the server end but in fact it may not.

In terms of ports to be use, your IP Phones and softphone should always register to the server with 5060 if that is what you have set on the server no matter how many clients you have in your "remote" network. Changing it to any other port will cause your phone not able to register with your server.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The registration timeout (normally) on 3CX is 30 minutes. So if a set doesn't re-register within that time, it will not be able to receive incoming calls. 3CX will "suggest" this time to the sets and most will be happy to "obey", it sounds like your sets aren't, for some reason. The 3CX log should show you if, and when, a set is no longer registered.

Lowering the registration time manually, as, suggested by albertc, should help, if not fix the problem.

10. nthomthom

Thanks Albertc,

I am not using a STUN server. I have a static IP address where the server is. When I use the firewall checker it requires a STUN server.

I have all the ports forwarded correctly on the server side.

Thank you for letting me know about the ports having to all be 5060. I will change this accordingly as well as setting the register time to 900.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Each set, behind a remote router (at a single location) should be assigned unique port numbers (5060, 5061, 5062, etc.). The port 5060 albertc mentions is the one at the 3CX PBX end (the one each set is contacting to register). I had assumed that that was already correct as the phones were (seemed to be) initially registering correctly.

12. nthomthom

Yes. Leejor. I am using a linksys 941 and 942. One using 5060, the other 5061. They register fine. I have changed the register time to 900 and will now be testing.

13. nthomthom

Update:

Still losing contact with the phones... This is what is happening when i make a call to the pbx:

22:53:24.847 [CM503003]: Call(117): Call to sip:500@serverip has failed; Cause: 408 Request Timeout; internal
    22:53:05.722 [CM503008]: Call(117): Call is terminated
    22:52:55.734 Currently active calls - 1: [117]
    22:52:52.755 [CM503025]: Call(117): Calling Ext:Ext.500@[Dev:sip:500@192.168.1.123:5060]

14. albertc

Hmm... i maybe wrong but I do have all my phones (4 of them) in my remote network to use 5060 and nothing is being forward on my firewall. My understanding is that the port you define in your sip device (hard phone or soft phone) is the port you are using to "call" the server. So by default, only 5060 will be accepted. Now, when the server "send" the signal back to my phones in my remote network, it will randomly assign a port for me and my firewall at my remote network will do the translation. This is my understanding about setting up phones in the remote network when not using the sip proxy mgr and have those phones talk to the server directly.

15. nthomthom

If you manually assign different phones the same port, the first one to register will register and the rest will refuse. My situation seems to be that the phones lose connection with the server after some time the server cannot properly route calls to the phones because the the servers loses communication or timesout.

16. albertc

Do run a firewall checker on your server and make sure the firewall where you have 3CX server is not doing any translation. I do know you are not using stun and do have a fix ip address. But that stun setting is there so it can check your port and forwarding setting. It seem like that maybe where the problem is based on the log you just uploaded.

17. albertc

Also, you must use Stun on all your phones and soft phone at your remote location.

18. albertc

Proof that it will work when all phones are set to register with port 5060 on my remote network. 3cx assign a random port for each device.

Attached Files:

• 3cx.jpg
      3cx.jpg
      File size:
      151.6 KB
      Views:
  19. nthomthom

I have gone a done a firewall check. Seems like there is translations. Why? And how do I resolve this?

20. albertc

I too suffer the same for one of my client. So far, I couldnt find a way to over come this if the firewall does not allow to turn off port translation. These are the work around I have use.

Option 1: Use Sip Proxy Manager on your remote network.
    Option 2: If both of the firewalls support it, establish a site to site vpn connection to bridge the two network.
    Option 3: Replace your firewall where you host your 3CX.
    Option 4: Add another firewall/router where you host your 3CX and have your 3CX TCP/IP defualt gateway set to that firewall/router (Given you have spare fix ip address to use).

I know 3CX version 11 is coming but not sure if it has any improvement in terms of supporting remote extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.