Incorrect external IP address in SDP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by datamerge, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datamerge

datamerge New Member

I have changed the external IP address of a system in settings | network | stun server. Now when I do a Wireshark trace I can see that the new external IP address is in all SIP headers to the ITSP, but the SDP is still referencing the old IP address in the (0)and (c) parameters.

Any ideas?

2. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

When changing the internal or external IP address you need to backup the 3CX installation, remove it and re-install it. During re-installation it will ask you for the IP information and then you restore your backup. If you manually change the IP information in the 3CX management console it will not result in a fully functional system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. datamerge

datamerge New Member

Thanks for the feedback. That sucks though. There are many reasons an IP address will change, especially external. It is unreasonable to expect a system to be completely reinstalled because a customer changes their ISP.

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Indeed it is a bit of a procedure to undergo, however 3CX does recommend having a Public Static IP so that this does not change often.

Anyhow there is a chance that in V14 this may be addressed in one of the next service packs so that when the IP is changed in the STUN tab, it will change everywhere as well so that this specific change does not require a re-installation of the system.

5. hogan71088

Just wanted to bump this and see if this is due to be addressed any time soon? I understand that a static IP address should be static but there are times when customers will change ISPs if they are offered a good deal with a different provider. Having to reinstall is a nightmare scenario for something which should be quite simple.

6. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I had a chat with the R&D guys and it is still in the "maybe" phase for a future service pack. I'll try and update this thread when there is a decision one way or the other.

Just to be clear, this is about changing the Public IP, not the FQDN. Changing the FQDN will always require a re-install.

7. techclarity

Any update on this for v15? We have clients with multiple Internet connections for redundancy and it would be great to be able to change the external IP address if an Internet connection is down for several hours or a day or two.

8. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry, lost track of this one and forgot to update it. Since V14 SP3, you can change the Public IP without re-installing.

All you need to do is change the Public IP in the "Public IP" tab, then restart the services.

9. jmiller

What about internal IP address of the 3CX server in v15?

10. slwtx1983

Hey there. Lets wake this up with a hard question! :) Is there an API that allows for an IP change? I looked through the API documentation and I didn't see anything that jumped out so I wanted to check. In v14 or v15. I am in between "static IPs" at the moment and I currently have a program in place that just emails me every time my public IP changes so that I can log in and update my public IP in 3cx. Until I get my static IPs back, I'd love to know if there is something in the API that will allow me to change my Public IP in 3cx.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't know about 15, but in Version 14 you can just enable STUN. Why change it manually?

12. slwtx1983

Since it is listed as a "not supported" option, I wasn't quite sure how to even use it. I have used and sold 3cx for years, but have never actually needed to change public IP's until recently. Now, I have 2 reasons. The one I mentioned above, and also I have a client who wants to move their server onsite for faster intercom times, but they have a failover internet connection.

I setup a public dynamic DNS entry to update every 5 minutes so that the SIP traffic always knows where to go, but wasn't sure about this public IP issue.

Can you describe what exactly it does? Does it just check the public IP address against the STUN servers so that it knows what my public IP address is at all times? I'll admit that in all the years of VoIP reselling, I have never utilized STUN.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In version 14, STUN is disabled, and a requirement when installing 3CX is to put in your static IP. However, in the network settings you can unchecked the disable STUN option, to enable it. This also greys out the public IP that you put in previously. Haven't yet dealt with version 15, so I don't know if it has the same options.

STUN is simply a tool that can be used to "understand" what type of network your equipment is located behind. It also determines your public IP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

14. slwtx1983

Very interesting. So, if I have an IP that may change for any reason, I can simply turn on the STUN and not worry about manually changing my public IP, correct?

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well.. a combination of STUN and a Dynamic DNS service. But the use of both are now "discouraged". As I say, I can't speak for how either work in version 15, but they do work, for me, in 14, with some "tweaking". Not everyone has a static, public IP.

16. slwtx1983

Yes, I setup a public Dynamic DNS entry that my SIP server is currently set to. I setup an alert to notify me when my public IP changes, but if this STUN works as expected then I imagine I won't need to worry about it. The Dynamic DNS updates every 5 minutes and also notifies me if it goes a few days without updating. This, I assume, is similar to your working setup? Dynamic DNS and STUN setting in v14? I am still on v14 as well.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I'm using. It works, but, has been actively discouraged since version 14 . My IP doesn't change that often, usually only if there has been "service" done on the ADSL equipment. The manufacturer of my router(s) (D-Link) provides a free DDNS service. I have a digital timer power down and up, the router every night, so at that time it will automatically check.

18. slwtx1983

I have always preferred the localized apps. I just have a Dyn DNS app running on my 3cx server that updates every 5 minutes. I like apps that run as services because I can monitor them for downtime. Plus, the app, as I stated before, alerts me when it goes some time without updating.

I have, however, used the built in app in my router in the past, but that was for a less important DNS entry. For this one, I really need it to work all the time.

19. slwtx1983

Do I have to open that port 3478 for the stun servers? Is there a log somewhere so that I know that my STUN setting is working to detect my public IP?

20. Sopock

Sopock Member

No, that is the port of 3cx STUN server. In v15 Dashboard there is Event log ID 12295 :arrow:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.