Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Incorrect presentation in 'User Status'

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by antler, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antler

Hallo all at 3CX,

Could someone explain to me as to why the 'User Status' presentation does not reflect the actuall status of the user, i.e. place a hardphone in to 'DND' via *61 and it ceases to recieve incoming calls yet wherever a status presentaion exists whether it be within the 'Extension Status' on the 3cx management console or somewhere with a BLF, the 'User Status' remains 'Available'.

My extension 225 has just been placed in to 'DND' and confirmed by the voice prompt, yet the status is...
    *** Registered 225 Available In Test1 - Test1

Whilst I am on the subject, something else I fail to understand but how, in the 3cx console, can an extension status be 'Not Registered' and again 'Available'.

*** Not Registered 100 Available OUT Test2 - Test2

Any answers appreciated, please get back to me if further information is needed.

ps I am currently running the V10 SP3 although the above occured in the previous V9, possibly earlier.

Antler.

2. nbailey

nbailey Member

first off DND has never been a viable status, but a phone status so it is not updated in presentation.

second you are confusing user status and registration status. Some use extensions as dummy extensions to forward calls
    and so forwarding rules apply to registration status and not available or away which are registered presence status.

if you want an active presence status use away and not DND if you want it to show, this is how it always has been.

Thanks,

Nate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. antler

Hallo Nate,

First, apologies for such a delay in responding back to you, rather busy!
    Anyway, I initially wanted to write that I understand your comments but having had the time to think and further 'test' the system, I fear that I do not! I feel that you need to take a look at all of the other comments, ideas etc and you will find that there is a lot of confusion over your 'DND' and 'Away' status' presentation.
    But first, I do not understand how you can write 'first off DND has never been a viable status...' irrespective of whatever status this is, when one considers the fact that 3CX DO provide a DND service and which can be found in the 'Settings' / 'Advanced' / 'DialCodes' /.. can you explain further how this is not a 'viable status', I'll bet that users will not care what the DND is applicable to, user will see this as a status indicator in the same way they see 'Available', 'Away' etc?

I have also read and understand some statements that it is possible to have e.g. multiple softphones defined with the same extension ID and hence one extension could be DND but the others not! I fail to understand why one would have multiple phones defined with the same ID and hence the statement that one phone might be DND but another not fails to impress on me the logic of 3CX on this function!

I am frustrated because I have just spent the last 4 days trying to ascertain why a particular extension could not receive incoming calls, outgoing were no problem but incoming, no go. Guess what!!! The extension had placed themselves in to the 'DND' status via the codes configured in the 'Dial Code' section which, according to you, is not a 'viable status' but nowhere, absolutely nowhere was I able to see this. Even in the 3CXMyPhone I was STILL shown as 'Available'!!!

From the blogs / forums I continuously read what would suggest that there is mass confusion regarding the DND status and I do not believe that the 3CX designers understand the DND status function and are confusing it with the 'Away' status.
    Within the 'Management Console' and 'Extension Status', there appears to be further confusion here, as other people have commented, that you have 'Status' and 'User Status'. I do understand that there is a need for 'dummy' extensions to call forward etc but 'User Status' does say to everyone who manages this system that this is the status of the user i.e. the softphone, hardphone is availabel, away, out-of-office etc and here it should also include 'DND', but it is difficult to understand as to how an 'unregistered' device can be 'Available'. Maybe some re-wording is needed to clarify whilst addressing my and a number of other peoples statements regarding the layout of the 'extension status' such as columns retaining width, sorting functionality, ability to reconfigure which information can be viewed etc.

As has been written many times, the more you do, the more people want, but these are the users :)

I additionally see that with regard to the 'Hotel Module', bearing in mind the systems are all interlinked, that, based upon the column headings, one is able to observe the 'DND On/Off' [this by the way is I feel is incorrect and should should simply state 'DND'] but why you present the 'DND Active' status as 'Away' is beyond my comprehension and why you can not simply present the status as it is, either 'Not Active' or 'Active'!

I appreciate that the 'voting ideas' web site is a way forward but feel that sometimes, designers should try talking to real people and for this reason I intended placing my contact number here but felt that I should wait for some feedback first.

I see 3CX as a major player in the market and I, for one reason or another, would like to see it succeed, but with some issues, I see this as a struggle.

Rgds,

Antler

4. nbailey

nbailey Member

DND is not a status indicator or presence status. if you want an indication you should use away. DND in 3CX is in case the callee may not wish to reveal the DND condition to the caller.

DND has it's uses, in many cases Away is the better choice. Which is why I said DND is not viable in my opinion.
    If you don't want users to accidentally or intentionally hit DND then disable it. The confusion seems to be the other way around here in why DND is useful and how to avoid allowing end users the option to set DND.

You spent a lot of time trouble shooting this problem, had you disabled DND their wouldn't be a problem. Go to the management console, remove the dial codes, problem solved. Disable DND on the phone, now away is the only option for presence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. alpha

Away to me means exactly that. Away.
    Out of office means exactly that. Out of office.
    DND to me means Do Not Disturb.
    Means I am in my office, and don't want to be disturbed.
    I don't see Away and DND to mean the same thing.
    I just posted asking about this before I searched. My bad.
    I want the ability to have my DND button on my phone change to a DND status in myphone.
    And vice versa.
    That just makes sense to me.

Someone comes in my office with something that is an emergency, I can hit the button on my phone and immediately have that status sent to other users, and have rules followed that are set in myphone, such as send calls directly to voicemail, or to a message that states that I am not to be disturbed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.