Inexpensive Consumer Phones?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by WaveRunningNaked, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveRunningNaked

My roommates and I want to get a house line for calls we don't wanting going to our mobile phones. The line will primarily be for incoming calls by businesses and the occasional outgoing call for pizza and wings. :)

So we took an old Pentium 4 and turned it into a 3CX server. It was very easy to setup, so kudos to the 3CX team. It looks like BroadVoice’s BYOD-Lite plan is perfect for our needs and was looking for suggestions for inexpensive consumer SIP phones.

2. asfuture

asfuture New Member

you can try Etech
    - http://www.e-tech.nu/Product_Detail.php?prodtitle=&SET_ID=1255&GET_LANG=E&LANG=E&SUB=Voip

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Halea

Halea New Member

I've just finished setting up a very similar config for one of my coworkers' kid who's in college. They are 4 roomies in a 4 bedroom, 2 story private house and only needed a landline, which they estimated will be used only occasionally. They especially didn't want to have a monthly subscription fee to pay. They feel that the money is best spent on beer :mrgreen: (Unfortunately these kids don't know how to pick a good beer yet - hopefully they will learn some day :lol: )
    Ok, we tried 3CX free edition, and as of yesterday, we gave up on it! We went back to the basics; no PBX!, just 5 Grandstream GXP-2000 phones, one single "pay as you go account" at InPhonex (with $20 of initial charge as a gift from yours truly), and 4 free IPKall phone numbers mapped to the VOIP lines. (InPhonex provides 5 VOIP accounts for each "pay as you go" account. They can be individually managed yet share into the same money pool)

Now, let me explain what was the issue with 3CX:
    1- Running and maintaining a computer for the PBX was found to be a hassle. According to our measurements, it would have cost $12 to $14 in additional utility expenses (these kids are on a budget).
    2- The phones performed stellarly well when they were registered with InPhonex. Through 3CX there was always some delay and echo that irritated them. They said that they had the impression their lines were taped and someone was listening in. Kids, kids, kids; too much imagination I guess! We could have probably solved these problems if we used a computer a bit more powerful than my 5 year old 1GHz P4 which I had volunteered as it had been sitting in my basement collecting dust. (That's it! - the dust is probably the culprit!)
    3- Crucial PBX functions like pick a ringing line elsewhere, and parking/retrieving a call are not permitted in the free version of 3CX. One of the roomies is in the shower, you hear an extension ringing, you don't even know whose, you should still be able to pick it up, otherwise parents would go crazy!!! I mean it, it's a crucial need - not for the kids, but for the parents :lol: .

So, we setup each GXP-2000 with all four phone lines. (GXP-2000 has 4 illuminated line buttons and supports 4 independent VOIP lines). So, the kids get even to see who's busy speaking on the phone. We made sure that each kid's phone rings only when the phone line assigned to him is ringing, otherwise he only sees the light blinking. Of course they have their own individually assigned "real" phone numbers - thanks to IPKall. They can pick each other's calls if they have to. They can all hear the ring in the house, they can check their respective phones; when one of them is awake enough to realize that his neighbor's line is ringing and nobody is answering, he can pick up the line after a moment long enough to have formulated the appropriate white lie to tell the parents calling in :roll:
    When they call out, their caller id is a completely bogus number (because we didn't get a paid DID from InPhonex), so nobody can stalk them. :mrgreen:
    Of course caller id is available for incoming calls.
    The GXP-2000 phones cost about $80 a piece. The house was wired, except for one of the rooms, where we setup an inexpensive Belkin wireless router in wireless bridge mode. That was cool. It worked painlessly. The phone is wired into the wireless bridge, which hits the main wireless router over the air.

So, for the cost of a GXP-2000, each kid has easy, useful and reliable landline capability. At the rate of 2.5 cents a minute (none for 800 numbers and other InPhonex lines installed at their respective parents' homes) the initial bet will probably let these kids play for a while.

Halea

4. asfuture

asfuture New Member

Beautiful. But it's a little bit pitty that you are not using 3CX. Voicemail, or is one from the kids not at home is, it's one from his mates that want to pick up.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.