Initial Hardware Setup Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by card718, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. card718

Hi,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, because I must be missing something simple.

We have a Windows XP Pro PC with 2 NIC's and a Grandstream GXP-2000 unit. Our ISP provides us with 5 static IP addresses, one of which would be used for the intended VOIP setup. We don't have a VOIP account yet.

My question is how do we do the initial setup between the PC and the phone unit? I understand how ISP->ROUTER->SERVER->CLIENT-PC setups work, and but I'm new to VOIP. When I install 3CX software, how do I first interface the phone unit with the PC? What are the basics of the hardware setup here? Even a diagram would help. The PC with 3CX software on it would act as some kind of VOIP router for the VOIP units or something, but I'm not sure how to wire up the PC and the phone units together.

Thanks in advance.

2. carolinainnovative

With appologies to the folks who wrote the manual, I'm going to steal a diagram from there.

The IP PBX, voip gateway and all phones are simply connected to the same corporate network. You do not need two nics on your pbx unless it is going to be your router as well, and I'm generally opposed to having a windows box as a router... so keep it internal, k? :)

Create a new extension, configure the Phone Provisioning as per Section 4 of the manual (at least in the Ver9 manual - Ver8 might be in a different section - but it will be there) and then tell the GXP-2000 to fetch the provisioning file from 3cx.

Instructions for provisioning the GXP-2000 are here: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

You can also configure the GXP-2000 manually (which, since you're new to this, that might be enlightning)
    Instructions for manually configuring it are here: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

Good luck!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.