Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Initiating a SIP call through intent

Discussion in 'Android' started by koeng, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koeng

Hey,

I'm working on an Android application that needs to initiate a SIP call using 3CX for 3CX Phone Systems.
    However, I am unable to make the 3CX app respond to any intents I send.

Code:
    Uri phoneCall = Uri.parse("sip:12345");
    Intent caller = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_CALL, phoneCall);
    startActivity(caller);

This snippet runs fine in my app and triggers the android dialog to pick an app with the suitable intent-filters. Any other SIP app from the Android market I've tried seems to respond fine, but 3CX does not. I have also tried the ACTION_DIAL alternative.

Is there another way to call the 3CX app and initiate a call to a specified number or is this simply not supported?

2. alexmallia

alexmallia New Member
    3CX Support

Hi there,

Kindly read through the following article, re-test and advise as to your results: No longer valid: 3cx.com/blog/docs/3cx-http-api/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kevin

kevin Member

@koeng

As alexmallia pointed out, one way to interact with an extension's identity is using the HTTP API, which basically gets the PBX to trigger a call from an extension to some destination.

However, if your intention is to interact with the 3CX for 3CX Phone System Android App, then I must advise you that this is not supported, and, more generically, since the app was never intended to allow manipulation from other Android Apps, it is unlikely that such hooks would work reliably, or even exist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KeithB

Is it still the case that you won't support the initiation of a call using intent? I have a call logging system attached to our 3cx (v12) and update my app on the phone and would love to be able to initiate a sip call on the Android phone using the 3cx rather than having to copy and paste the number.

Thanks

5. Danny Lauwers

Hello,

I have just tried Android 3CX Client 15.1.41, and still there is no response from the 3CX App when a CALL or DIAL intent is initiated from our program. CSipsimple, Zoiper,.. a lot of other SIP clients do support this. But we are using a 3CX Phone system, and it would be a lot easier for us to be able to use the 3CX Client instead of any other SIP clients.

Or would this be possible via HTTP API ?

Is there any evolution, or would it never be supported ?

Thanks
    Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.