• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Installation Fails when starting secondary database service

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbayks

Reaction score
During the installation (window title is "Welcome to 3CX User Settings Wizard) I receive a popup error message "Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed." This occurs during the wizard step "Starting secondary database service" and to the right of that step a red "Failed!" appears. I am installing "3CX Phone System Version 9.0 build v9-14507".

I have scanned the forums, and it appears this problem has been reported before without resolution. There are many suggestions to "try this", but no definitive answer on why the secondary database service won't start. Looking at other posts, I have followed some of the "try this" suggestions detailed below.

I have stopped all other running applications.
I have turned off my antivirus software (AVG).
I have disabled my firewall (Windows Firewall).
I have made sure I have the latest dot net upgrade & service pack installed.
I even tried installing 3CX version 8 and have the same problem.

I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Windows update has installed all the available updates.

Somewhere, someone should know (or be able to find out) what causes this error. I'm open to more "try this" stuff, but I'd really like an authoritative answer if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Installation Fails when starting secondary database serv

Hi,

Minimum system requirement is Windows XP with Service Pack 3.
Please upgrade your OS and try it again.

Thank you for the reply.

I've installed version 8 on XP SP2 before with no problem. Although my post above was regarding version 9, I have the exact same problem when trying to install version 8 on this same system. The only requirement I can find in the documentation is for Windows XP Pro (no service pack is mentioned). Do you have a source for this information?

I will see how difficult it is to upgrade (as I'm leary to jump SP's with windows as you may imagine). If I can do it without causing any other problems I will try it and report back.

I think it does never do you any harm to upgrade the OS to the latest Service Pack.

The source was the User Manual for v10, page 15. Not for v9, sorry.

After removing v8 from your system, have you checked if all files are completely removed from the system, by running the 3CX Installation Checker?
See http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/uninstall-check/

Yes, I agree. I like to keep the OS updated, but I've been hesitant to upgrade SP2 to SP3 because it has been running without any problems.

Yes, the checker showed everything was uninstalled. This box never had 3CX v8 installed on it before I tried installing v9. I just tried v8 after v9 failed. I only tried v8 once. I've tried v9 several times after the "try this" suggestions I mentioned before.

After my last failed attempt (it always fails the same way) I did not remove the installation. I manually started all the 3CX services and it seems to be up and running. It will all restart after a reboot. I'm not quite sure what wasn't finalized in the installation, but at least it is up and running.

I have yet to be able to connect a 3CXPhone to it, so there may still be some problems.

I will, however, proceed with the WinXP SP3 upgrade just to see if that helps (or hurts) anything. It would be nice to have this installation problem solved since it appears to have happened more than once.

Thank you once again for the feedback and suggestions.

If you are having that many issues installing 3CX a format and reinstall of Windows may be necessary.

You said: ”it always fails the same way” and I don’t want to say “Try this” but, have you ever redownload the 3CX Phone software from the 3CX site and install that one. Maybe it will install without any problem. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :)

Thanks again for the reply.

Well, I upgraded to Windows XP SP3. I tried to install V9 again, and the same error occurred.

I downloaded another build of V9 (this time build 15781--the one I had been using was build 14507) and the same error occurred.

I downloaded V10 Beta 2 and it actually got past the point in the Wizard where it was starting the secondary database. Wow, I don't know what happened, but something must be different in V10. I haven't looked over the Beta information to see what may or may not be missing, added, or inoperable, but for now I think I will see where I can get with V10 (it is still installing as of these keystrokes).

Well, just as I typed it, I got an error that it cannot start service 3CXQueueManager on computer. I guess I will be looking in to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.